ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video formats

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe BurudVideo formats
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:06:41 pm

I'm new to AE/Motion graphics so please bear with me. I created a 3 minute software demo that will be mailed out to clients in two formats one on DVD and one that will autoplay off a CD. I created it in AE at 1080p. My question is what is the best format/resolution to render out for each? Initially I was going to render the DVD version out at 720p and drop the cd version in a comp at 1024x768. Does this sound right? Also is a .mov file the best for DVD and an H.264 encoded .avi file best for the pc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video formats
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:54:37 pm

[Joe Burud] " I created a 3 minute software demo that will be mailed out to clients in two formats one on DVD... Initially I was going to render the DVD version out at 720p "

Sorry, that wouldn't be good. All NTSC DVDs are 720x480, whether they're 4x3 or 16x9. They also contain MPEG 2 video ONLY. It's probably best to nest your HD comp in an NTSC DV Widescreen comp; there's a comp preset for it. Render in a lossless codec and use the resulting file for authoring a widescreen DVD with DVD authoring software like Adobe Encore.

[Joe Burud] "...and one that will autoplay off a CD... I was going to... drop the cd version in a comp at 1024x768."

The limitation you'll probably face here is the capacity of a CD; it's limited to 650 MB, so your CD file needs to be less than that. H.264 would be a good choice, but don't use AE to make it. Again, render a lossless file from AE, and use something else to convert to H.264: Adobe Media Encoder, Apple's Compressor, Sorenson Squeeze... something like that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe BurudRe: Video formats
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:23:54 pm

That helps alot. Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]