ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adobe After Effects memory problems 3GB

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John brewer
Adobe After Effects memory problems 3GB
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:55:13 pm

My problem is this, my computer has 3gb of RAM memory, and I want to access as much of that as possible in After Effects. But when I go to change to amount used, limit, etc. it wont let me change anything (it is grayed out, and only allows me to change the amount I want to keep for other program uses). I tried the /3GB boot.ini trick, and my computer didn't like that. So I did the /3GB /USERVA=xxxx boot.ini trick, and while my computer accepts it, I still cannot change the values in After Effects.

To see a screenshot image of the values and memory options I am talking about go here:

http://img121.imageshack.us/i/aaememory.jpg/

And this is what I want it to look like:

http://img192.imageshack.us/i/imagebuffer2b.gif/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adobe After Effects memory problems 3GB
on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:20:31 pm

Here's a hard-and-fast fact of life when working in AE: 3 gigs is NOTHING. You may think it's a lot, but I'm here to tell you 3 GB is a pitifully small amount of RAM, especially if you're running AE 9 or 10.

You need more RAM. You need it right now. You should be grateful your software won't let you do what you want -- the machine would absolutely freak out.

Go get more memory.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John brewer
on Feb 28, 2011 at 10:37:01 pm

Yes I understand that part, it is actually AAE CS4, so I understand the need for RAM even more, but right now I cannot install more into my computer, only running XP 32 bit, would need a new system, and OS to properly get where I need. I am only doing trivial projects, and experimenting with different effects one by one, which seems to be working so far, just a little slow.

So is there any way to change those settings? Or would it only be possible to change them with more RAM?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 28, 2011 at 11:06:31 pm

[John brewer] "So is there any way to change those settings?"

For your sake, thank goodness no.

[John brewer] "Or would it only be possible to change them with more RAM?"

Not running a 32- bit OS. You'd need to go 64-bit, like Win 7. Forget all about Win XP-64; it's a dead end. I should mention that I have 8GB RAM on my machine at work; I NEVER use multiprocessing. I just don't have sufficient RAM to make it work efficiently. My home machine has 24 GB; multiprocessing is fine there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John brewer
on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:43:27 pm

Ok! Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]