ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Noise.... UGH!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scot RawlingsNoise.... UGH!!!
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:47:31 am

For all who read this I am new After Effects and I am doing everything I can to learn as I go. I have been doing a pretty good job til now... I think.

So to my question.

I am working a series of short videos in HD and I have figured out how to remove the noise in the subject and change my white background to a brighter white but the video is still noisy. I used to be in the cable business and it looks like it is a composite noise (triple beat) but there are no stars. It is very noticeable when the video is enlarged. Also the background is white and the noise only shows on the subject. I guess I would call it motion noise. ???????????????

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Scot Rawlings
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Albert Einstein~

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Noise.... UGH!!!
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:15:25 pm

[Scot Rawlings] "...I am new After Effects and I am doing everything I can to learn as I go...."

Ow. Sorry to say this, but that isn't a very good way to learn AE. Not very good at all. AE is most definitely NOT an application you can learn intuitively just by fooling with it: you'll either get frustrated, or you'll miss great gobs of things that can be huge helps. You really do need to begin at the beginning. Here's a great place to start:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

And if you've got disposable income equivalent to buying a new video game, here's something even better:
http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321734866

I've been in TV since Gerald Ford was president, and I can't ever recall hearing the term, "triple beat composite noise": for one thing, HD isn't composite video. Nor have heard of "motion noise"; motion BLUR, yes, motion NOISE, no.

From what I can glean from your description, it sounds like you're dealing with poorly-exposed footage. If you can dispense with the technical terms in favor of a detailed, plain-English description of the footage, its codec, frame rate & resolution, the shots and what you see as you look at them, it will go a lot further in our ability to diagnose the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scot RawlingsRe: Noise.... UGH!!!
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:22:37 pm

Thank you for the info. When it comes to my descriptions and composite tripple beat I was only trying to give an example since I have no idea what video terms are. LOL!!! This is all new to me and my profession is photography. CTB is when video signal is shorted at the tv via the F81 barrel connector being loose and separating from internal soldering. The basic look of this is stars on an analog signal and an almost static look.

Here is a link to the video.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/video-with-noise

Scot Rawlings
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." ~Albert Einstein~

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Noise.... UGH!!!
by on Feb 28, 2011 at 11:04:49 pm

If you have AE 8+, you should try to correct the color and levels using Color finesse, which comes bundled with AE. There are tutorials on using it on the COW. Since you've already done work on it, I can't really see any big noise problems, but I see God-awful color.

If this is 1080 footage (couldn't tell: lousy internet connect speed at work), make sure you interpret and render video as upper field first; see if it gets rid of the minor aliasing. It's had to know if you did, because you've already been at the footage, and you simply could have overdone.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]