ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing unwanted things from a video frame.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer PaytonRemoving unwanted things from a video frame.
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:18:49 pm

I'm making a video with....well....my old stuff animals. DON'T LAUGH!!! I want to know how I can remove my hand when controlling the toys. Rotoscoping or something??? Oh... I don't know. Please Help?? Any software would work but I just posted it under After Effects.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Removing unwanted things from a video frame.
by on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:24:32 am

Create a matte painting.
Tie it to your shot with tracking.

This is called a set extension. This tutorial adds a castle to a scene. However you can use the same technique to add "nothing" to a scene to replace your stuffed animals. I've done this to remove shadows, or to clean up nasty looking walls behind my actors. In this case your matte painting starts with a single frame from your source footage. Remove the stuffed animals in photoshop. Take only the pieces you need to patch the image, and leave the rest transparent, then bring it in to AE. Follow Andrew's tutorial.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/set_extensions/

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Removing unwanted things from a video frame.
by on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:27:07 pm

[Spencer Payton] "I want to know how I can remove my hand when controlling the toys. Rotoscoping or something??? "

Why don't you put 'em on sticks so you don't have your hands in the way?

Rotoscoping is an extremely time-consuming, painstaking and difficult procedure, not for the faint of heart. Here's a link to Rotoscoping info in AE:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS39e706a46ad531be1172e08...

But after you successfully remove the unwanted portion of the image, you now have a transparent hole in your video! You've got to fill that hole up with something, Coach! Got any plans for that yet?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]