ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rich/Shiny 2D Colours

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex TownleyRich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 3:21:02 pm

Hey,

I am currently working on a shot which shows the island of jamaica (coloured with its flag colours) animated with a heartbeat with loads of little hearts flying from it.

low-res example:

The client says he wants the colours to have a richer/glossier/more metallic/shiny look. I have experimented with nearly every colour correction tool as well as the glow and trapcode shine effects but still can't seem to get the right look.

Does anyone know the best way to give solid 2D colours a more polished professional look?

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Rich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 4:10:42 pm

Have you tried making the map layer 3d, adding a light or lights, and changing the Material Options of the Map Layer.

I have a small aesthetic suggestion for you as well. You might want to consider making the black portions of the island green so that they match the flag.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:04:40 pm

my take on what the client is looking for is more glassy 3d look to the elements... you can achieve something like that with bevel effects and gradients.

you might look up some of the old 'aqua button' tutorials for photoshop that went into detail about creating the look of osx's glassy buttons... and i wouldn't be surprised if you could find a 'aqua heart' tutorial...

if you just want to try something in ae, try adding a bevel and emboss layer style to a heart and make it really soft. play around with the blending modes for the highlight (try linear dodge or vivid light..) and shadow (maybe linear burn or vivid light...)

you might add a gradient overlay layer style too and tweak the blending modes, gradient and opacity.

inner glow and inner shadow can be used to help create so extra edge contrast.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Rich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:16:50 pm

if you are trying the bevel layer style, i should've said to increase the size, not the softness.. but try setting the 'technique' to smooth.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alex TownleyRe: Rich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:43:44 pm

Thanks guys! have been experimented with both methods and starting to look better..will see what the client says though!cheers

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rich/Shiny 2D Colours
by on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:16:00 pm

You might also check out this tutorial for some more ideas:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/james_colin/glass.php

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]