ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motiontracking in After Effects(Downwards tilt)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherry FahimiMotiontracking in After Effects(Downwards tilt)
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 9:47:23 am

Hi, I'm having a problem with the motion tracking tool on my video and I really hope you guys can help me! I'm trying to make an image/video stick to a painting frame on the´╗┐ wall of my original video. So very similar to this video:

only the camera is moving downwards in my video instead of shaking briefly as it is in the video above. This means that the painting on the wall that I'm trying to replace with an image/video will eventually move out of the camera perspective as the camera tilts downwards. My problem is: I can't make the image/video to "stick" to the painting frame and not follow the camera down. When I use the instructions given in the video above, my picture/video just follows the camera down instead of sticking to the painting frame.

Can you plz help me? Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Motiontracking in After Effects(Downwards tilt)
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:27:05 pm

just to clarify... you have a shot that has a picture/painting in it where the camera tilts and the picture/painting moves out of frame, and you're looking to replace that picture/painting.

if you have cs4 or later, you should have a separate tracking software called mocha. you might give it a try. it is better designed to track planes or surfaces. here is a tutorial using it to replace a laptop screen:

another way is to track multiple points using ae's tracker. has a tutorial called 'set extensions' that demonstrates one method to do this (the site seemed to be temporarily down when i went to get the link, but i doubt it will be down long). it does require that you have a second point to track as the first is leaving the screen... so if you just had a blank wall after the picture left the screen, it may not work for you.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motiontracking in After Effects(Downwards tilt)
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:38:29 pm

To expand on Kevin's reference, there are also Mocha tutorials on the software developer's web site:

But first, double-check the version of Mocha you have and watch the appropriate tutorials.

Adobe also lists sources for learning Mocha. This set happens to be for AE 9:

I bet you could find something similar for AE 10.

I personally still have trouble wrapping my head around using all the capabilities in Mocha, so learning it is still a work in progress. I wish you more success than I'm having.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved