ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5 won't render entire comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lee ellis
After Effects CS5 won't render entire comp
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:44:12 pm

Hi all, (fairly new to this please be gentle :) - i'll learn)

my problem:
after effects won't render my entire composition, it stops and after effects crashes,
doesn't seem to be particular frame as it has stopped in different places, it renders with quality set to draft mode but not set to best - draft mode is the only way i've got the whole thing to render...

over the last day or so it has rendered shorter sequences, but even then crashed on a few.

it only seems to be with this project or variations there-of.. my other projects have been rendering fine (if a little slow)

have tried a different colour depth 8/16/32
have tried codecs animation & h264
i've got smcFanControl running to keep the mac cool, plus its on a cooler pad, temps are usually around 70c while rendering

the only time I got it to render all the way through was by setting render settings to draft. Naturally, there's a deadline in the equation...
any help advice no matter how small would be greatly appreciated, is there something crazy i've missed?, I'm fairly new to after effects and have very recently started using this mac.

some project info:
levels of undo is at 10
have allocated 6 of my 8 GBs of ram
render multiple frames simultaneously is off

my composition:
1024 x 576
25 fps
duration 7 mins 30 secs
my main composition consists of 12 shorter compositions, each of those consists of 4 or 5 imported swfs with layers switched to 3D, plus a camera and a light.

Im not using any motion blur but i am using constant camera movement and all the layers are set to 3D.

render settings:
quality best (works when it's draft)
resolution full
disc cache read only
use open GL renderer is off / unchecked (have tried with it on, still crashed, also didnt render my shadows properly

hardware:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
graphics card:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

thanks for reading - sorry it's so long!
Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects CS5 won't render entire comp
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:01:49 pm

Do you have the update to AE 10.0.1 (or higher)? Look for the version under "About After Effects". If you need it go Help>Update.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

lee ellis
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:47:25 pm

Hi Dave thanks for the response,
ah, actually... I have version 10.0.0.458
I'll update right away...

I did just manage a first full render about 20 mins ago! (I'm still in shock)
the only change I made was in the "output render setting"..
- I unchecked "resize"
I have the habit of rendering at 50% original size to save on disc space.. so anyway I unchecked it to render at it's original size of 1024x576 and it rendered all the way through!
I don't know if that was the cause.. or if I just got lucky this time.
have you or anyone else had any issues rendering with a resize?

thanks again,
Lee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 22, 2011 at 9:19:21 pm

[lee ellis] "have you or anyone else had any issues rendering with a resize?"

Nope... but then, I never resize anything in the Output Module.

If I want anything rezised or cropped or any of that stuff, I make a new comp in the appropriate size, and in it I nest the comp to be altered, scaling or positioning it as needed.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

lee ellis
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:07:14 pm

Hi Dave,
that's a useful tip thanks for that.
I am all updated now on AE, i just did a test render (using the scaling down in the output module - just to see) and it rendered fine?!?!
maybe the update fixed it!

thanks again, also want to say I think it's truly great all the info/help/feedback you guys are dishing out (I've read quite a few of your posts over the last couple weeks Dave.)
Brilliant community, very cool, when I'm up to speed with AE hope I can add to the pool of knowledge.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:35:42 pm

I was going to ask the same question as Dave.

While waiting for you to answer that, here's a tip:

Don't render and export to a movie file. Render and export to an image sequence. That way, if you're having trouble getting through an entire render, you can render and export a piece of the composition at a time. Once all of the frames are rendered and exported, then you can assemble the frames into a finished movie, either using QuickTime Pro or After Effects itself.

Don't think of this as a workaround. This is the recommended way to work.

See this page for a tip regarding using a post-render action to make this two-step process automatic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

lee ellis
on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:20:16 pm

Thanks Todd, very useful. I used to use the image sequence method when rendering from 3DS Max (oh the pain!)
I'll definitely be trying out the post render actions then!
I just updated my software, it may have fixed the problem I had earlier but I'm not sure. so many variables, so little time!
cheers,
Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]