ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating a Country's Border

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eren Esgul
Animating a Country's Border
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:56:41 pm

Hello,

I need to draw an animated historical map of a region. I have a blank map and I plan to draw each civilization in the region in a time in the history, then I will animate the borders according to the historical facts.

I have no problem with drawing the borders in a given time via shape layer but so far I couldn't find a good solution for applying the changes in the history.

There is a 100% matching example for what I am talking about:

(between 3:45 and 4:00)

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Animating a Country's Border
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:14:52 am

I would apply an Adjustment Layer over your map layer with one of the Color Correction effects or a Glow, then draw a mask in the shape of the initial border on the adjustment layer. Then animate that mask into the shape of the new border.

Remember, you can add vertex points to the mask(s) as you go if necessary, but you can't subtract them.

If for any reason the mask animates strangely (crossing vertexes or whatnot) you can enable Smart Mask Interpolation.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:48:14 am

Yeah, that's an easy one. Easy and it looks so good too.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Eren Esgul
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:24:25 am

Thanx for the help.

Pardon my ignorance but I need to ask this:

What do you mean by "animating the mask"? If it is giving simply keyframes to the dots in the mask and for the larger or smaller version, changing their positions, I tried it before. It works, but not satisfyingly enough especially considering the effort it takes. :)

In another forum, I found a similar issue:
http://www.videocopilot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48202

The solution suggested there is a bit complex for me but I will have to follow those instructions in case there is no easier meat. :)

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:13:17 pm

[Eren Esgul] "It works, but not satisfyingly enough especially considering the effort it takes. :)"

I'm sorry, but getting good results from AE requires effort.

[Eren Esgul] "The solution suggested there is a bit complex for me but I will have to follow those instructions in case there is no easier meat. :)"

Cube steak or filet mignon, you get what you pay for.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:07:02 pm

"[Eren Esgul] "It works, but not satisfyingly enough especially considering the effort it takes. :)"

[Joey Foreman] I'm sorry, but getting good results from AE requires effort."

So you pick up a paint brush for the first time and you're not already a master?

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Eren Esgul
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:22:39 pm

"I'm sorry, but getting good results from AE requires effort."

Well, I don't object that. But I don't see any logic to waste efforts when I know the results will not be satisfying enough anyway. I tried it before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]