ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

perspective/view problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Allcockperspective/view problem
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 9:34:27 pm

Hi, i am animating jenga blocks and have a problem. A Camera navigates the blocks around a 360 degree path, when this happens the perspective is messed up, a block that should be behind appear in front and it looks odd. This can be fixed by changing the order in the timeline but this then causes the same problem later. Is this an unavoidable problem or is there some kind of setting that sorts this problem out? Ive included a picture of the problem as its hard to explain, thanks for any help.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x90/kewl_cubensis/jengaproblem.png

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: perspective/view problem
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:26:19 pm

How did you make these blocks? Are they constructed in 3D precomps?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Luke AllcockRe: perspective/view problem
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:25:00 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes they are pre-composed .png's they aren't pick whipped to any solids or anything just the actual .png imported into AE and moved into position.

Could that be the problem? The fact that there aren't any solids?

P.S. The perspective issue happens with or without the camera, so its unlikely to be anything to do with a setting on the camera i'm using.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:29:32 pm

If you built the blocks in 3D precomps, make sure that you have the Collapse Transformations switch turn on for thdm in the main comp. The'll then behave like 3D objects. Their anchor point will be a zero in z-space, so you may have to adjust that.

It's been a while since I built 3D objects that way, so you may even have to turn on the switches on the layers in the precomps, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:53:59 pm

Hi, the collapse transformations switch is on for the pre composed layer, when its off all .png's are shown "flat".

However when double clicking the pre-composed jenga piece and going to the individual .png's the option to collapse transformations isn't there, the icon is their at the top but the boxes you'd normally put a tick in aren't.

I can't seem to crack this one!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:09:22 pm

[Luke Allcock] "the collapse transformations switch is on for the pre composed layer, when its off all .png's are shown "flat". "

Just to remove obfuscation, I'll say this again -- build your blocks as 3D layers in a precomp. When you're done, you ought to have a three-dimensional block occupying x, y & z-space. If you're allowed to turn on collapse transformations, do so.

In the main comp, do the same thing: hit the collapse transformations switch on the nested comp. It should now act like a 3D object. You may have to play around with the nested comp's anchor point a bit to get it to work properly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:48:23 pm

Hi, yea that is how the box is made, it is a 3D "cube" that can be spun with 3 axis. However the perspective isn't right as it goes infront of objects it should be behind and vice-versa.

The problem seems to be a glow effect that is added directly to the pre composed jenga piece. Once this is removed the perspective problem goes away. Should this effect actually be added to an adjustment layer that is pick whipped to the jenga piece?

Not very familiar with adding effects though adjustment layers.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:55:18 pm

An adjustment layer isn't the answer. Add the glow it to the layers in the nested comp. Adjustment layers affect everything below them in the timeline whether they're 3D or not.

You ought to read this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

And although it doesn't sound like you did this, avoid mixing 2D and 3D layers. Things can go wacky when you do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Feb 27, 2011 at 7:44:25 pm

Hi, still playing around with the same problem. So i'll just update the problem to make it clear.

1) The PNG's are imported and the 3D space box is checked to give me X Y and Z positions. These PNG's are then moved into position to give a 3D box. The collapse transformations box isn't available here, the column is there but without any boxes to tick.

2) This is pre composed which then gives me effectively a single layer; the 3d space and collapse transformation boxes are ticked and i have a fully functioning 3d box that can rotate in 3 planes etc.

The problem only happens when there are numerous block on the screen and it doesnt seem to know which to give priority to.

A picture speaks a thousand words:

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x90/kewl_cubensis/Image5.png

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x90/kewl_cubensis/Image3.png

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x90/kewl_cubensis/Image4.png

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]