ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spider CarmeloBlood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 2:34:12 pm

Alright, here goes. Please be gentle. Appreciate any help ahead of time.

I have a shot to composite with a man being shot repeatedly with a shotgun. Easy right? Not this time.

I need to add blood soaking in to the dress shirt as the sequence continues. Then, have to track and transform it. It wasn't done on set and it should look as real as possible.

No, no reshoot. "Tough luck" is for babies. No armchair whining. This is where the best hang out. I'm hoping someone out there is up for it and has a cool idea or composting trick to blend an ink element in to cloth convincingly?

Thanks again guys, this will be a real challenge.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:23:44 pm

Sounds like you may want to use a combination of motion tracking in Mocha, an ink bleed from Andrew Kramer's Riot Gear DVD, Freeform and rotoscoping.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 8:51:57 pm

And a blend mode like darken, multiply or color burn. That will blend a semi-transparent "blood stain" into the details of the cloth behind it.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Spider CarmeloRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:55:19 am

Awesome ideas, thanks guys!

Don't know Mocha, think the tracking could be done in Shake? I'm a novice there, but it's a tutorial away.

Using Co-Pilot for the blood. Know multiply is out but love the idea of color burn. New to composite modes (ironically). Would that be the best way to actually blend a color to a texture? Maybe Screen a texture on top (like a sample of the shirt)?

It's a lot of questions, I know, but I doubt anyone would be excited about this one. Thanks again for any input!

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:45:04 am

[Spider Carmelo] "Would that be the best way to actually blend a color to a texture? "

Depends on the colors; test them all until you get familiar with them. Darken, multiply, burn all darken colors. Lighten, overlay, screen, add lighten colors. Others do different things. Blood is going to darken a shirt, thus multiply, darken or burn are the ones I'd start with first.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 23, 2011 at 7:44:19 pm

I'm not sure how much blood you're going for or how long the shot is, but don't forget that if there's a lot of blood, not only will the shirt get darker where the blood is, but it will also become just a tiny bit reflective as the blood soaks through to the outside. You'll see a bit of specular highlights in the places where the blood has come through the cloth.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Spider CarmeloRe: Blood Soaked Shirt in AFX
by on Feb 27, 2011 at 11:18:20 am

Thanks again for all of the great ideas. It's working. Have to figure out the liquid reflections, still trying to figure out how to make it look real on a track shot, but it's coming along nicely.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]