ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jitter Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BundyJitter Problem
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:05:20 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the cow, but I need some help. I'm a youth minister whos been using premiere for the past 9 years. I make a weekly news video for our group, and have been using the color keyer in premeier. I recently learned how to use an after effects comp in premiere and am much happier with key light, but when I render it the video jumps, and jitters in the begining, and then fixes itself twards the middle. Any ideas as how to fix it? here's a link so that you can actually see the video.

look forward to hearing your advice.
J.E. Bundy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jitter Problem
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:24:43 pm

Nice-looking key! Well, if you're a longtime Premiere editor, and it's a church, chances are good that you're not on the bleeding edge of software purchases.

Since you don't say which version of AE you're using or the footage you shoot, let's assume for a moment that you shoot HDV and you're NOT using AE 10 (aka CS5). If so, the following still applies:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde, Notorious Lutheran
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gates BradleyRe: Jitter Problem
by on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:57:31 am

I likewise am having the same problem. As well, I am a first time Premiere user (what's more I'm working on a PC for the first time in 8 years). I am running CS5, with 24Gb of RAM and 2x12 3.3Ghz processors, so am not lacking for power.

The sequence looks fine in After Effects, but super jittery like I applied the wiggler or something when I look at it in After Effects.

I am using AVIs in the Intel IYUV codec (which I know nothing about, but don't believe uses i-frames). All I am doing in the AE comp is starting way zoomed in on an image (300% or so), and then pulling back. Nothing crazy at all. A portion of this zoom is time-remapped to create a speed-ramp effect, but this jitter effects even the parts playing back at their normal frame rate.

Also this problem persists even if I render the sequence in Premiere.

I was excited about the easy workflow between AE and Premiere but so far it's been almost all headaches. Any help would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Solomon blairRe: Jitter Problem
by on Jun 6, 2013 at 11:01:29 pm

Hey dave,
I was wondering about this same issue. I am using adobe premiere CS5.5 and am having the same issue with the jitter. if you say not to use any of these--MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 --

my issue is that my video is extremely long, around 50 minutes and using something like quicktime animation makes the file unusably large.

what would you use recommend?

thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved