ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracking - successive trackers as trackers are obscured

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson GoforthTracking - successive trackers as trackers are obscured
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:26:38 pm

I have a 1940's scene in which I'm hiding or replacing some modern elements, an exit sign, a fire alarm box, a modern logo, etc. The frame in the shot I'm concerned with is fairly stable, but two actors are walking toward the camera.

In one shot every good tracking point is obscured at some point by the actors. I need to use at least three succeeding points as the shot progresses. Mocha has problems as well (at least in the small amount of time I've spent with it).

Andrew Kramer's excellent "Set Extensions" tutorial showed me how to join the first two tracking points, but when I move on the the third tracking point I lose the track, and my images start to float around. His tutorial only dealt with two successive tracks.

So to pass the track from the first point (Null 1) to the second (Null 2) I parented Null 1 to Null 2. But with Null 3, do I parent the other two to it, or what?

Thank you,

Red Camera Production, Denver Colorado. 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Tracking - successive trackers as trackers are obscured
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:04:07 pm

if i'm remembering andrew's setup correctly, then i think null 2 would get parented to null 3...

basically you want them in order of movement... so the 1st to move should be parented to the 2nd to move. then the 2nd should be parented to the 3rd to move, and so on...

this should keep the movement of the 1st null/layer consistent with the camera move, and that's what you are after... (he does have the set extension/plate parented to the first null, correct?)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved