COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob White
Bright Feather Around Mask - Why?
on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:49:43 am

1650_leftps.png.zip

1651_rightae.png.zip

The Left PS image is what the mask should look like

The Right AE image is what AE does to the mask when I load the footage.

I've tried a mask in AE it does the same thing. I can't get rid of the white halo. I'm trying to place a CU (the image) onto a team photograph, so when I zoom via camera move in AE, it doesn't get pixelated.

Any Help, or a workaround is MUCH appreciated. Thanks

-Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Bright Feather Around Mask - Why?
on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:42:51 pm

I don't know why you don't simply reconstruct the shot in AE to your satisfaction. You can mask around the still over a black solid, or you can mask a black solid to reveal the still beneath to create the vignette.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:11:07 pm

I think your alpha channel is messed up. Are you interpreting the tif with prematted or straight alpha channel? Use the other one. Were there other options in PS that you could have used in exporting the tiff with alpha? How does the tiff look if you bring it in on a plain comp? See the halo there? What is your blend mode? I would typically use multiply for this. You can turn on linear blend mode in your comp settings, which may help as well. Finally as Dave said, why use a tif for this? Why not just a solid and a mask within AE?

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2011 at 9:16:10 pm

And here's another thought: could this be a CMYK/RGB issue?

AE only likes RGB Photoshop documents, not CMYK ones. You'd have to change that in Photoshop.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:31:18 pm

My original process was to use the two tifs (CU and WS) straight into AE and mask the CU to blend into the large WS photograph. I've tried RGB 8-bit and 32-bit PSD's now. I can't find blending options in my comp settings.

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:59:28 am

[Rob White] " I can't find blending options in my comp settings."

Linear blending that I referred to is actually in project settings, where you specify 8,16,32bit. To use it, check "Blend Colors using 1.0 Gamma"

Layer blend modes are accessed within the comp on each layer.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 18, 2011 at 10:26:14 pm

This is the kind of idea behind what I'm doing if I was unclear at the bottom of my post.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/

A black solid would hide the layer behind it, so that's out of the question.

Masking a solid, wouldn't work either. I need the CU image -- a 1920x1517 CU, to blend with a larger team photo -- A 1920x1348 WS. So that when I zoom it doesn't get pixelated. I believe I explained this in my initial post. If I didn't, I'm sorry for being unclear.

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:44:00 pm

OK! I have figured it out, with no definitive clarity on how to solve the issue.

During my initial flip through composite modes with the original tifs I had accidentally left the switch to Luminescent Premul.So everytime I reloaded the footage it remained with the white Halo. However. When I imported the tifs originally I had the same halo problem and the mode was set to Normal.

So now I'm using the masked PSD on top of the original WS tif.

The PSD is RGB 32-bit.

I'm sorry if my inattention to detail has cluttered this post.

What is the benefit/downfall of using 32-bit PSD into AE? If any?

Thanks for all your help, guys.

And Dave, you may want to sound less condescending in your posts. I've been reading your posts for several months, and I think you might do well, to not use words like simply, and obviously. Or maybe you just think we're all stupid, but I doubt that, as most of your posts are quite helpful, and informed/knowledgable.

Thanks Again

-Rob

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 19, 2011 at 2:56:01 am

Rob: Dave, you may want to sound less condescending in your posts...

Let's see you champion this forum for 10 years, answering the same questions over and over with hardly any details, confusing questions, argumentative questioners, criticism, and little to no thanks; and do it with a chipper attitude every time. Processing the three AE forums is like drinking from a firehose. There was nothing condescending in his posts to you. Seriously, thicken your skin and be grateful that ANYONE helped you out for FREE.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 19, 2011 at 3:34:12 am

Cory: "Let's see you champion this forum for 10 years... ...There was nothing condescending in his posts to you. Seriously, thicken your skin and be grateful that ANYONE helped you out for FREE."

I never said I was "hurt" (having such apparent thin skin) by Dave's condescension. I simply made a suggestion so that maybe the forums can speak with clarity and without un-needed remarks like "I don't understand why you don't just simply..." Beginning any sentence with those words will ALWAYS read with condescension, whether it is intended or not. Use the English language appropriately when you can not speak it with inflection.

"Thanks for your concern, there Cory. I didn't know Dave needed a spokesman" (Condescendingly)

Also, you nor Dave "helped me out for FREE." Attempting to help is not the same thing as helping.

You may take your own advice and thicken your skin. I'm sure this isn't the first time you tried to help,and appreciation seemed to be lacking as the problem turned out to be user error, resolved without your guidance.

Cheers, and Happy Friday.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just hope for the pretension that exists so apparently in our industry to be lessened, and I'm doing my best to point it out as I see it. (You can point mine out just as obviously.)

Please respond to posts with clarity, and professionalism - that is my desire. I don't need to guess or infer how you are feeling or thinking about my projects or pleas for help, I just want information.

If one does not like to champion a forum for 10 years, then one should not. My guess is that it makes Dave feel good to help, and I was pointing out a certain trend that I have seen in Dave's posts, that may cause him to be helping less than he intends.

Thanks for all the free advice. It truly is appreciated. I hope you don't dislike me for being honest and argumentative.

-Rob

PS: Your last post (blending options via 1.0Gamm etc.) was ABSOLUTELY free help and I am very appreciative. Have a nice weekend Cory, and I apologize if this response is unwarranted. I felt it was, however.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:14:28 pm

I didn't really get what you were trying to do. As I understand it, you want to start on a WS baseball team. Then a small grouping of the team members gets bigger and eventually fills the screen. Right?

Here's the AE 101, 2-D way to do it, it's dead simple, and all you need are the WS and CU shots. No Photoshop techniques necessary:
  • Make a comp in the desired H&V resolution, add the WS layer, scale & position it to taste.
  • Take a snapshot of the comp -- click on the little camera icon at the bottom of the comp window.
  • Add the CU shot to the comp and scale it down so you see the edges.
  • Double-click on the CU to open it in the layer window.
  • Use the ellipse tool to make a mask around the players, and close the layer window.
  • Turn on the mask visibility switch: it's at the bottom of the comp window, shaped like a driver's-side car door.
  • Open the layer's mask controls, and play around with the feathering until you like it.
  • Scale & position the CU layer until it matches the WS; you can refer to the snapshot you took earlier by clicking on the person icon next to the camera icon.
  • Make Scale & Position keyframes, move the timeline cursor down the timeline, and scale the CU shot up & reposition it until you like it.
  • RAM Preview, and move keyframes around on the timeline until it moves like you want. You may want to use the Easy Ease command to make the motion a little smoother.
If you really want to get tricky, you can also animate the CU layer's opacity so it's invisible at the beginning of the move and goes opaque as it gets bigger.

That's all there is to it!
Now, if you're still at the "what's a keyframe?" stage in your AE knowledge, you really owe it to yourself to go here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Trying to learn AE intuitively just by fooling around with it isn't much different than jumping into the deep end of the pool having had no swimming lessons, with lead weights on your feet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:25:18 pm

Thanks Dave for the detailed response. I have already rendered the sequence out to my off-line timeline in FCP.

I actually used a camera move instead, and it\'s looking pretty good, except it appears to stutter/skip/blend frames about 8 times over about 4 seconds when viewed fullscreen on a 32 inch monitor. Any ideas about that, besides the obvious motion blur and 1.0 Gamma /linearized project settings etc. ?

I\'ve also tried speeding up the move and the path is already curved. I am also having this problem on another Still image a straight left to right pan with a slight curve going forward in Zspace. I've also seen people having this problem on other forums and haven't seen a clear and definitive response yet. I feel like it has to to do with color and edge contrast based on what I've read, but you seem to know very much about the technical details of problems, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for all you do Dave.

-r

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 20, 2011 at 1:09:12 am

Tell you what: just try the 2D approach. It's a LOT easier than fooling around with 3D layers and cameras. Cameras just don't behave in a straightforward manner.

If you've made a humongous comp, one whose dimensions go beyond that of normal TV pictures, AE probably can't RAM Preview it smoothly. Since this will probably go to DVD or perhaps Blu-Ray, just use one of the comp presets.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rob White
on Feb 26, 2011 at 5:00:21 am

On the contrary, I believe 3d layers and cameras are much more interesting to use, and much more intuitive and really create that sense of space that a 2D environment just doesn't allow for.

But with these simple pans and zooms, I guess I should just stick to the basics. If it works, it works. I just can't stay away from exploring my world with the Camera. The possibilities are endless. Sometimes when I'm done I'm so far from where I started. And sometimes I'm just right back at home. Sorry I ramble. it's been a long day.

I posted in the FCP forum about a workflow issue also, that I thought you might like to try your hand at.

Seriously Dave, You're the man. Thanks for doing your part to help us young bucks get by in this digital revolution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]