ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Audio won't render in Pre-comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob ErobsAudio won't render in Pre-comp
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:17:19 pm

I have a project with multiple pre-comps and a Final composition. When I RAM preview from within the precomp the audio plays with no problem, however when I RAM Preview the Final composition the audio won't play from that precomp but will play the audio that is in the final composition.

For example:

1) I have a scene with mov clips (including audio) sequenced together. The audio plays fine when I preview.

2) I precomped that sequence to create the final composition so I can add the music and post effects. The music plays fine but the audio from the sequenced comp does not.

I have checked the audio on and made sure that the levels are up. I can work around this but I was hoping to know what's causing this for future reference.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio won't render in Pre-comp
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:30:56 pm

Without any knowledge about your machine, OS, AE version and codecs/compression in the footage, there could be a bunch of things to check. But personally, if you're simply trying to add sound effects, I don't see your dilemma as that big a deal.

The reason: AE is a horrible application to use for audio. You're far, far better off using a video editing application to do it. It will be both faster and easier.

If I've misread your intent, sing out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob ErobsRe: Audio won't render in Pre-comp
by on Feb 17, 2011 at 9:30:11 pm

I am working with

Mac OS X (10.6.4)
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

I'm thinking it was some kind of bug or corruption because I just put all of my assets into a separate comp and all worked fine.

Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

Chris HumphreysRe: Audio won't render in Pre-comp
by on Feb 18, 2011 at 4:15:08 am

Dave is always. I rarely edit audio in After Effects--very clumsy and difficult to get just right. Take the rendered video file into your favorite NLE and then work with audio. I typically rough out the audio in the NLE and export a track to use in After Effects as a reference for timing out effects, then go back into NLE (Avid or FCP are my usuals) and fine tune the audio on a final pass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved