ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lighting darker places of a scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno kochLighting darker places of a scene
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:43:43 pm

I'm trying to light a scene with an artificial object.
So far the only viable method that i have found was using a glow with an adjustment layer, which i masked out with a small circle. I linked the adjustment layer's position to the object. While this works perfectly for some scenes i have a problem with one scene. In this scene there's massive smoke/fog floating around, and since the glow works based off of threshold it always makes the smoke glow. Is there any other method to solve this? Like something that uses minimum and maximum thresholds? Is there an option or blending mode that i'm missing?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Lighting darker places of a scene
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:02:10 pm

I'm having some difficulty understanding what you're asking for.
If you're asking what I think you're asking, you could use Colorama to make the bright areas black and the dark areas black and the midtones white and use that layer as a luma matte.

Or, perhaps a bit of rough rotoscoping in a precomp would do it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

bruno kochRe: Lighting darker places of a scene
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:10:17 pm

I want to "light" the scene based on the lightness of the rock so that the light looks more natural and uneven. The only effect that i found which can do this is glow, with ~50% threshold. But this method doesn't work for this scene because there is semitransparent smoke flying infront of the rocks, which picks up the glow because it is lighter.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lighting darker places of a scene
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:53:46 pm

Okay, I was wrong in an earlier post; instead of three, there are now officially four people who posted within an hour's time who believe that AE is a Magic Wand For Video that can overcome their massive lack of planning or knowledge.

You could TRY the following, but there's no guarantee it would work:
  • Duplicate the layer. One the upper one, then use a combination of animated masks and the Levels effect to isolate the smoke and create a white-on-black matte. You might have to precomp this layer
  • Duplicate the lower layer again, and add the glow effect.
  • On the middle layer, use the top layer as a Luma (or Luma Inverted) Matte to put the smoke back over the glow layer.

But since smoke is notoriously wispy, having few clearly-defined edges, lots of feathered edges and a gray scale that varies wildly, this trick is a crap shoot at best.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved