ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Will After Effects run on my laptop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim CecilWill After Effects run on my laptop?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:29:03 pm

OK, I have a Macbook, new last year, that has a 2.26 Ghz. Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 Gb of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video chipset. I believe that I can run After Effects on this computer, but one question I have is the resolution of the chipset on the computer is 1280x800 and the minimum on the site is a 1280x900. Is this going to cause me a problem? I'm also assuming that the Adobe site description for the chipset for laptops that reads "NVIDIA GeForce 8M and 9M series" is the same as I have in my computer.

One other thing, if this is compatible with my computer, is it feasible to run it on this computer? I know more is better when it comes to stuff like this, but I work in a high school and funds are minimal and this is for our broadcast media class and we don't have the $$ to purchase a higher end computer to run this on. Every semester we get a kid or two in the class that wants to do something a little extra and we've had kids ask if we have this software, so if it will work on what we have that would be great. Let me know what you think.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Will After Effects run on my laptop?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:26:07 pm

I expect the OS is just fine for AE 10, but just to cross the t's and dot the i's, could you tell us the version?

After Effects is all about utilizing the processors, their cores and lots and lots of RAM. However, you have only 2GB -- you'll really need to put as much memory into that thing as you can. If the maximum is 8 gigs, I wouldn't recommend running AE in its multiprocessing mode.

Once you get that baby tricked out with RAM, you ought to be good to go. To save a LOT of wear & tear on your laptop's hard drive, I also recommend getting an external hard drive on which to place media files & AE project files.

You should also know that the academic version of AE does NOT come with some impressive third-party software that comes bundled with the full-price version. You won't have the Cycore effects (anything with CC in front of the effect's name), the Mocha planar tracker, Color Finesse or Keylight, a really good chroma keyer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim CecilRe: Will After Effects run on my laptop?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:32:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. we are running OS 10.6.4. What about the resolution of the graphics chipset, will that cause me an problem with the 1280x800 (the computer) vs the 1280x900 (Adobe website minimum)?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Will After Effects run on my laptop?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:45:39 pm

something seemed to happen to my original post....

but to add to dave's comments, try the trial version to see how it will run on your system. i'm not sure the 1280x900 screen minimum will be much of an issue, however, if you connect to an external monitor you can get up to 1920x1200.

any other opengl/gpu concerns can be put to rest by simply disabling opengl in the preview preference in after effects.

also, you can evaluate the ram after working with ae a bit. your machine max's out at 4gb, so that's still not enough to enable multiprocessing, but it will help ae run better and will give you longer ram previews.

and as dave mentioned, an external drive for media and renders is a good idea. for your system, i'd look at a firewire400 drive with an option for an external power supply... fw400 usually outperforms usb2 and external drives usually have lower speeds when using usb/firewire bus power vs external power.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Jim CecilRe: Will After Effects run on my laptop?
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 5:18:21 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll download the trial and see how it works, great idea, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved