ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pre-Comps and Cameras

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Durwood HibbardPre-Comps and Cameras
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:56:02 am

Hello there,
I am working on a Highlights video for a youth basketball league. I have a Basketball court and some banners that I have made along with 3 big screens that will be showing the footage. I want to move around the court and from one screen to another. Right now will the room only built the comp time line isn't to bad to follow. However when I start bringing in my footage to place in the screens I am afraid it will get a little messy. I attempted to pre-comp the court and banners in one comp and then the screens and footage into another comp. My Problem I am having is controlling both comps with a camera when I put them into a main comp. is it possible to control both comps with one camera? or do I just need to make one big comp with many layers?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Pre-Comps and Cameras
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 4:53:20 pm

I have some comps where I have hundreds of layers. Sometimes the shy switch can be used to help clean things up.
If you'd rather have a layer in one comp control a camera in another comp, you could link them with expressions.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pre-Comps and Cameras
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:35:25 pm

Michael's right about the Shy switch; it can make comps with many layers much easier to deal with.

If this will be an ongoing project with many episodes, and you seek additional simplicity to make the updates, you could also do this:
Build your 3D set entirely, including footage to go into the screens and a camera. Now you have a Main Comp, and you know how it will work.
After duplicating this Main Comp for safety's sake, you can now think about the layers as three different kinds: those that will never change, those that will change on a regular basis, and the lights & camera, which should remain in the main comp.
Select the layers that never change, and precompose them. Do likewise for the layers that will change, making a second precomp.

Now comes the slick stuff.

Open each of the precomps, and turn on the Continuously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations switch for each of the layers. Open the Main Comp, and turn on the same switch for the precomps. By doing this, you have made each of the precomps into three-dimensional objects, and these objects have their anchor points in the middle of the Main Comp's x-y dimensions, and 0 (zero) in the z-dimension. Don't move them! Just move the camera as necessary. They'll react to the lights as you set the layers when you originally set up the comp.

You shouldn't ever have to mess with the precomp with the layers that don't change. To change out the video footage in the precomp with the layers that change, you can use the Replace Footage command.

I don't often work in 3D, but I'm pretty sure I got the procedure correct. I hope others will chime in, and if they can poke holes in my thinking, I hope they do!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Durwood HibbardRe: Pre-Comps and Cameras
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:01:50 pm

THAT'S IT DAVE....The Continuously Rasterize/Collapse Transformations switch was unavailable in the comps themselves. However when I clicked it on the pre-comps it set everything back to how it should be or how it should look. I moved the camera around and it worked great. Thank You

Also thanks You to Michael, I seem to forget about the shy switch. I will be using that as the project continues.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Pre-Comps and Cameras
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:09:37 pm

Good luck with the project. Hope all goes well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved