ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Windows 7

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Roams
Windows 7
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:38:52 pm

Hi,
Right now I am running AE CS4 and someday hope to upgrade to CS5. I would like to upgrade my operating system to Windows 7. What are the benefits of Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full. Will Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full work just as good?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
Re: Windows 7
on Feb 14, 2011 at 3:23:39 pm

I run CS4 on Win 7-64 bit professional. Works fine for me.

Return to posts index

Rob Roams
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:32:21 pm

When I install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, are there specific guidelines to help the performance of AE, or just the general installation process will do?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:53:53 pm

The biggest issues you may face probably aren't in the realm of software, but in hardware. Such as:
  • A small number of cores, so you can't take full advantage of multiprocessing
  • A small amount of memory, so even if you have a dual-quad core machine, you STILL couldn't take full advantage of multiprocessing
  • A single drive containing system software, application files and user files like AE project files & media files, which REALLY slows things down
You might find the following advice helpful in planning for the upgrade:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

If you have video capture cards, hot graphics cards, etc. make sure you've got all the updates for your drivers, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:07:40 pm

Also look at this page for articles and info on optimization. How you set up AE, etc., is very important

http://ae.tutsplus.com/?s=optimizing+performance

Return to posts index

Rob Roams
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19:52 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!

This is the hardware I would like to upgrade to. Trying to keep the budget under $1,000...

Core i7-950 3.06GHz
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
12gb of RAM

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:50:50 pm

That hardware is more than fine. Even Windows 7 Home is fine unless you need the advanced features. Just make sure you get the 64-bit version.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare?T1=tab15

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:51:41 pm

I have basically the same setup. Little slower processor speed (2.33). That will work fine. The only really costly thing in addition to that is the video card. For affordability (does that exist in this realm?) I went with NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800, but that was the lowest I found recommended for mograph and what I needed it for. Still $400.00 tho.

Return to posts index

Rob Roams
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:06:34 pm

My video card is something I will also need to upgrade. I mainly work with Avid so I just picked a basic one off their system requirement list, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

Does the video card help with rendering speed? From what I understand rendering speed is pulled from CPU and RAM?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:13:40 pm

[Rob Roams] " From what I understand rendering speed is pulled from CPU and RAM?"

That's correct. Hot cards don't matter much in AE. Processors and RAM matter.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]