ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Margie MarfiWhat are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:09:08 pm

Hi,

I hope I can get help here. What are the best laptops with what options to be able to run Adobe CS5? I don't have much money. So am hoping for an economical solution that works well. I've used older versions of Sony Vegas Pro on my desktop. I want to learn After Effects. Am auditing courses to learn more and they involve Premier Pro and Avid. One classmate bought CS5 and his computer is unable to run the programs.

Thank you,

Margie

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 3:21:56 pm

Although opinions will vary, get at least 4 GB of RAM and make sure your operating system (i.e. Win 7) is 64-bit. AE and Premiere need that for CS5.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:05:46 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a laptop isn't really the optimum environment for AE. That's mainly because AE can use multiprocessing, and every bit of available RAM in a 64-bit operating system. And AE 10 will ONLY work on a 64-bit OS like Win7.

Laptops, although they're cool, handy and portable, are typically short on cores and limited in the amount of RAM you can stuff in them.

Now, this doesn't mean you CAN'T use AE on a laptop, it just means you won't get the same kind of performance that you would on a desktop machine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:48:08 pm

I have a sony vaio with a core2duo 64-bit processor, windows 7/64-bit and 4gb of ram, circa 2009. It works more than fine. Anything more than that is fine.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Margie MarfiRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:55:10 pm

Thank you all for your help:)

Return to posts index

Margie MarfiRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:48:19 pm

Hi Cory,

How big is your hard drive in the Sony Viao and is it a 5400 or 7200 rpm hard drive?

Thanks,
Margie

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: What are the best laptops with what options to run CS5
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:49:17 am

It came with a 250gb 5400rpm. I replaced it with a 500gb 7200rpm.

Never get a system with a 5400rpm drive if you can avoid it, or plan to replace it. A slow harddrive is one of the greatest performance drains for a system.

But really any reasonably recent laptop will be fine for you. You don't know how to use AE yet so any system it will run on will allow you to learn. Once you know how to use it, you'll have more reason to have a powerful system. Rules of thumb are: 7200rpm harddrive, then spend as much as you can afford on processor, and memory up to say 12-24gb.

Cory

---
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]