ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Not Synching With Music

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Landeskog
Video Not Synching With Music
on Feb 12, 2011 at 6:11:55 am

Hi,
Ive Shot a 3 Min Music Video 1080p 24fps video edited with FCP and Exported as quick time movie with the same settings, but i chopped it up into 20-30 sec clips so after effects wouldnt have such a long vid (its my first time, Is this the correct way to do this
?)where i need to add my effects. but when i tried to bring 2 finished rendered ae clips back into final cut to put back together my clips dont synch with the song, i edited a full version without effects from final cut pro and its synched perfectly, so putting back together the clips should just simply match up. but it doesnt work. HELP!

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
Re: Video Not Synching With Music
on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:08:43 pm

Hi there,

Have you run the latest updates for AE CS5? there was a syncing issue in 10.0.0 but it's been fixed now so running Software Update from the Help menu may be an easy solution for you. If you run the update and still have problems you may want to check that the frame rates are indentical in FCP and AE.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Gabriel Landeskog
on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:43:14 pm

Im using the macs at my college I doubt I even have the ability to update it (they lock settings with admin restrictions etc)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:36:48 pm

[Gabriel Landeskog] "Ive Shot a 3 Min Music Video 1080p 24fps video edited with FCP and Exported as quick time movie with the same settings, but i chopped it up into 20-30 sec clips so after effects wouldnt have such a long vid (its my first time, Is this the correct way to do this"

To add to Angie's always-wise comments...

In FCP did you remove the pulldown from the captured video and ONLY THEN did you begin to edit, using a 23.976 (aka 23.98) edit timeline? If you did not, I'm afraid it's time to go back to Square One and remove that pulldown.

Did you capture the video in ProRes 422, or did you simply leave it in the capture codec? This will do you NO favors in terms of image quality, and it would be an additional reason to go back to Square One. Since we don't know for a fact that you run AE 10, HDV video still in its capture codec will definitely give fits to any older version of AE -- yet another reason to go back and do things properly.

You can export the entire timeline -- in ProRes 422 -- import it into AE, and render, again using ProRes 422. It should be just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriel Landeskog
on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:47:24 pm

I think your onto something ill try to export it properly. but i have a few questions

1. should I be compositing effects with the full video or my little chopped up clips?

2. when you say pull down do you mean the sequence itself in FCP?

but thanks i really think your onto the problem

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:03:52 pm

[Gabriel Landeskog] "2. when you say pull down do you mean the sequence itself in FCP?"

I mean the FOOTAGE itself; I do NOT mean the sequence. You may be forced in FCP to fix some of the cuts, and almost all of the other transitions. This is what happens if you do not remove pulldown before you edit. This is the more fundamental issue, and you must tend to this first.

[Gabriel Landeskog] "1. should I be compositing effects with the full video or my little chopped up clips?"

If you have no dissolves or other transitions in your video, you can export the entire FCP edit timeline. If you have dissolves or other transitions, it is in your hands: you must use your judgement: do both the outgoing and incoming clips need the same color correction? If the answer is "no", then you must use other software to bring your FCP edit timeline into AE. The expensive one is Automatic Duck, which brings in everything into AE as a separate clip in a comp, including transitions.

If you can't afford Automatic Duck, you can look at a script called FCP2AE from Popcorn Island. It is free, but is doesn't have the features that Automatic Duck has.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Gabriel Landeskog
on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:15:37 pm

when i try to remove the pull down it says "file does not contain DVCPRO, DVCPRO-HD or DVCPRo-50 NTSC video"

Return to posts index

Gabriel Landeskog
on Feb 13, 2011 at 8:00:26 am

I ended up exporting everything from FCP as prores 422 HQ and into AE where i did everything i needed too, I exported It as a prores from AE with audio and viola its good. thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:17:05 pm

Glad to hear it's working, but for your future reference, ProRes HQ is generally overkill for such uses.

Unless you're going to render the same file going about five generations deep -- which almost NEVER happens -- good ol' ProRes 422 will be just fine, and the file sizes will smaller, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]