ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color Profile Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bevan goldswainColor Profile Issues
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 1:44:33 am

Problem: Video brightness/gamma/color appears different when viewed on the web and in QT compared to when viewed in AE or Mpeg Streamclip

H.264 files shot using a canon 5D MK ii

Imported into AE

AE guesses that the footage should be "straight unmatted"
I click "OK"

Then I set up the project so that the working space is sRGB
and sRGB is thus assigned to the clip, when I click on 'interpret footage' and go to color management I see that this is so.

On export I make sure that sRGB is assigned to the clip as well.

If I then Re-import the rendered file into AE, the clip seems to have the: HDTV (Rec709.) YCbCr color profile embedded.

In fact no matter what combination of settings I seem to use, when I bring a clip back into AE, AE tells me that the clip has the "HDTV (Rec709.) YCbCr color profile"

Does anyone have any color profile advice for me?

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: Color Profile Issues
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 11:52:15 am

Not sure about the color profile settings, but when I notice the gamma is off when I open it in QT I go to Window > Movie Properties, select the Video Track, then click the Visual Settings tab. On the Transparency dropdown, select Blend. Ramp it up to 100%. Then set Transparency to Straight Alpha. You can now close the dialog. Hit Play and you should notice it looks more like the original AE comp. Save and you're done!

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Bevan goldswainRe: Color Profile Issues
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:47:36 pm

window>movie properties

nope... I don't have the 'movie properties' option.

But also let me understand this correctly, you fix will change the clip to look nice in QT.

Right... but then surely you are messing it up for other forms of delivery?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved