ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Durwood HibbardHave an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:05:40 pm

Greetings,

I have an idea for a sports highlights video I am working on but I am not sure the best way to go about it so that I don't "over load" the computer.
I hope this makes sense... I have 31 teams for a youth B-ball/Cheerleader league. I was thinking of setting up a stage with three "walls" with each wall being a screen playing random clips that are not used elsewhere in the project. The Leauge logo would be at center stage laying flat on the floor to start, then it would rise up like a platform. Around it (on its sides) would be various clips of the teams that I would be jumping into and out of.
First off I am not sure how to make the logo thick so that it appears to have sides.
Second of all I would like to have the individual clips that are on the sides to be on a loop cycle.
I am not sure if it is possible to put them on a loop or how to do it.
Finally. Trying to make all of this work with out my computer laughing at me.

My ideas are often, as in this case, bigger than my knowledge base. I want to be able to learn more about pre-composing, pre-rendering, and work flow so that I am able to do more complex projects in after effect.

I thank you for any input on any of the above.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 10, 2011 at 4:37:00 pm

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but this would be an EXTREMELY ambitious project for one person.

From your description, you'd need to construct a virtual set with a functioning man-sized pedestal that can be raised and lowered on cue, PLUS you'd probably need to have a different chroma key color on the pedestal for motion tracking and chroma keying. Not to mention the carpentry, hydraulics, and studio space such a set would occupy.

I'll take a quick guess that the minimum studio size would be about 30' wide, 20' deep and 25' high, and a pit about 10' deep to house the pedestal & hydraulics. To light it properly would take a minimum of 50 lighting instruments of various kinds; that's another off-the-cuff guess.

Considering all the chroma keying and motion tracking involved, a weekly highlights show could take three weeks in production; I presume you have a day job.

Yeah, it's a great idea, and I'm surprised somebody like Fox Sports or ESPN isn't doing it already. They could afford to build practical sets with rear-projection screens instead of a virtual set, which would speed up the production process a lot.

But it's a great idea best left to organizations with the financial, manpower & equipment resources and construction and production expertise to pull it off on a regular schedule, like Fox Sports or ESPN. The commissioner of a youth hoops league with an HDV camera and CS5 doesn't really fit into that category.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Durwood HibbardRe: Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:56:20 am

I agree with you on building a set like that would be tremendous. I apologize for not being more clear in my post. I am looking to do this with Computer graphics not real life.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 12:26:11 pm

Hi there,

It is possible to build something like this in After Effects but you'll need to invest in a plug-in called Zaxwerks Invigorator to help you achieve it. With invigorator you can buld the platform from primitives and use it to extrude an EPS of your logo into a 3D object. You can build video walls quite easily in After Effects using 3D layers. Once you add a camera to the scene you can also have Invigorator react to the same cameras and lights as the other 3D layers.

this is by no means an easy job but it can be done. Here's a link to the software you'll need;
http://zaxwerks.com/invigorator_pro/index.shtml

And here's a link to some tutorials that will help you;
http://zaxwerks.com/training/

good luck! Let us know how you get on! :-)

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:46:07 pm

[Angie Taylor] "It is possible to build something like this in After Effects..."

Indeed. And In fact I misread the gent's original post. I was under the impression that this pedestal was something talent could stand on, jump from and jump onto, which cries out for a virtual set.

The challenge for the talent now becomes knowing the boundaries of the set against a featureless background, and knowing where to look when interacting with it. Not to mention the need for a full head-to-toe chroma key set.

But it IS possible...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Durwood HibbardRe: Have an Idea Not sure how to go about it.
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 8:44:18 pm

Thank you for your input. After thinking it over more I have decided to move in a different direction...something a bit easier to achieve. As for the software mentioned I made a bookmark of it and will check it out in the near future. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]