ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which comp settings for an opening movie title sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Clark
Which comp settings for an opening movie title sequence?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:39:24 pm

I am creating an opening movie title sequence for school. I would like the final output to be in HD. All footage is going to be digital illustration/graphics, no live footage.

I have always worked in NTSC DV and this is my first HD project. I have been doing a lot of research, but I am still undecided as to how I should setup my AE comp. I was leaning toward the HDTV 1080 @24fps. If that proves to be too taxing on my computer hardware, I will drop it down to 720p. (I would like to try to keep things at 24fps because I am incorporating some frame-by-frame animations that were drawn at 12fps. Once brought into the 24fps comp in AE, the frames will double up and play "on 2's.")

Given that this project is for a college class and not for a real client, I have the freedom to create the output at whatever setting I want. However, since it is a movie title sequence I would like to set it up the correct way. How would a "pro" setup his/her movie title sequence if it were for the big screen?

A little more insight would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Which comp settings for an opening movie title sequence?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:53:48 pm

I wouldn't get into the habit of working in 24. If you ever choose to use 24p video, the frame rate will almost always be 23.976 frames/sec.

When would video from a video camera actually be at 24? When the camera shooting the video costs as much as a brand-new Corvette, that's when... and even then it might still be at 23.976.

So make your frame rate 23.976, interpret your 12 fps footage as 23.976/2, and life will be good.

Start at 1920x1080. It's a LOT easier to scale something down than it is to scale something up.

[Adam Clark] "How would a "pro" setup his/her movie title sequence if it were for the big screen? "

It all depends on the playback device. They usually determine frame rate & resolution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Clark
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:46:43 am

Thanks Dave. I was hoping you were around:) So, to clarify...

Work bigger, got it!

I trust what you say about 24fps not being exactly 24fps. Initially, I was more confident with my HDTV 1080 24 selection, simply because there was a preset for it. AE doesn't seem to have a preset for HD 1080 @23.976 or 720. Why is that or does it even matter? Is this an uncommon frame rate for HD?

When you say "interpret your 12 fps footage as 23.976/2" do I type the 23.976/2 in the "Conform to frame rate" box under the Interpret Footage panel? (wanna be sure)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:23:31 am

[Adam Clark] "When you say "interpret your 12 fps footage as 23.976/2" do I type the 23.976/2 in the "Conform to frame rate" box under the Interpret Footage panel?"

Yes, AE will calculate that this is 11.988 fps for you.

Also, if you find your machine slow at 1920x1080, you can always work at lower resolutions (hit the Full drop-down menu at the bottom of the Comp panel).

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:33:01 pm

[Adam Clark] "AE doesn't seem to have a preset for HD 1080 @23.976 or 720. Why is that or does it even matter?"

Don't sweat it. Those comp presets are just there just for convenience. I make custom comps all the time, and so can you. If you make a 1920x1080, square-pixel comp with a 23.976 frame rate, you'll be fine.

[Adam Clark] "...do I type the 23.976/2 in the "Conform to frame rate" box under the Interpret Footage panel? (wanna be sure)"

That's correct.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Adam Clark
on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:54:18 pm

Awesome, thanks.

So, If I were to burn the 23.976 animation to DVD with Nero later down the road, what frame rate would it play at?

Do I have to add any pulldown or would that only be if I were dropping the 23.976 footage into a 29.976 comp that had live video?

Sorry for the many questions but I will be writing about my process and want to sound like I know what I'm talking about!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:41:03 pm

[Adam Clark] "If I were to burn the 23.976 animation to DVD with Nero later down the road, what frame rate would it play at? "

29.97. I think every DVD player on the planet can add the 3:2 pulldown to 23.976 video so it plays on a TV set. Ever watch a Hollywood movie on a DVD? They make 'em at 23.976, y'know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]