ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Issue with Write-on effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Dorrance
Issue with Write-on effect
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:10:14 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use a mask path as a path for the write on effect to follow. Example. You have the letter "M". You use the pen tool to create a mask path on the letter M. So you have mask a in the shape of an M. You copy the Mask Path properties of this mask and paste it to the position property of the write on tool. When I paste mask path properties on to the write on position property, I get what I am looking for. I have a write on tool that is writing on in the shape of my M. However, before any of this was done, the M was scaled to 500%. My problem is that my write on effect is acting as if my M is still at 100%. How can I have my write on effect act on the M scaled at 500% and not 100%.

Sorry if this is confusing.

Bobby D

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Issue with Write-on effect
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:59:35 pm

[Bobby Dorrance] "How can I have my write on effect act on the M scaled at 500% and not 100%."

You know you did it bass-ackwards, right? Don't scale up the layer with the M mask on it -- scale up the MASK ITSELF. Just double-click on the mask, which puts the mask in a box, Shift-drag a corner until it's 5 times bigger, and reposition the mask.

Now when you paste the mask info into Write-on, life will be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:01:41 am

[Bobby Dorrance] "How can I have my write on effect act on the M scaled at 500% and not 100%."

You know you did it bass-ackwards, right? Don't scale up the layer with the M mask on it -- scale up the MASK ITSELF. Just double-click on the mask, which puts the mask in a box, Shift-drag a corner until it's 5 times bigger, and reposition the mask.

Now when you paste the mask info into Write-on, life will be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:46:22 am

[Dave LaRonde] "You know you did it bass-ackwards, right?"

Hmmm ... accidental duplicate post or was it just worth saying twice!? lol

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:35:56 pm

Yeah, it was inadvertent. That's what I get for having a dozen browser windows and tabs open at the same time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:34:55 pm

LOL! I've done that too David! :-)

BTW, if you've already made the mistake and need to work out exactly how much to scale your mask by to make it exactly 500% (or 100) you can adjust it numerically by clicking on the "Shape" hyperlink in the Switches column, next to the Mask Path property. In here, change the units of measurement to % of source and then go ahead and change the values. You can also get to the same dialog by selcting the mask and going to Layer > Mask > Mask Shape.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]