ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Paint rotobrush over video image

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip JacobsPaint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:23:56 am

I have a clip that i need to correct. Basically my friend shot this in there house in front of a tan wall. but there is a brown baseboard and hardwood floor that i would like to take out and sorta stretch the wall down. I would just crop it, but she is adamit about seeing her boots.
Anyway, what is the best way to do this. Ive tried a handful of things, but im not really getting the results im looking for.

Sorry for this beginner question..after effects and all the crazy plugins, is still a bit of a mystery for me. :(
Thanks!

Philip Jacobs
messenjahmedia.com

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:35:49 am

Hard to tell from a still, but if there's not a ton of leg movement, you might be able to get away with using a rough feathered mask to mask out the bottom of the wall around her feet, then duplicating the layer and moving it down to fill the gap. That would need a little tweaking to keep the shadows looking true, but it's doable.

If there's lots of leg movement, the above method would only work on the series of frames with less leg movement. In other words, only as a means to avoid spending time on roto precision when it isn't needed.

Also depends on how the footage will be used (stylized, other stuff composited in, etc.) and how good it needs to be (YouTube, broadcast, etc.).

Return to posts index

Philip JacobsRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:52:03 am

Yeah that's actually waht i was trying. But the colors didnt look so well matched, ya know? But yeah, I duplicated the clip and then cropped it, painted it and tried to feather it. But it's just not coming out the best.

As for the leg movement, it's just walking to and from the camera.
The clip will actully be overlayed as a ghosted image over another video clip. As far as quality, its mainly for the web. But it was all shot in HD.

If she's willing, id much rather just pull her out of the entire thing, then ghost her; a keying effect.

Anyway, what are your thoughts to do this? Is there a trick in Mocha?

Philip Jacobs
messenjahmedia.com

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 6:29:02 am

It looks like a low budget production. Which means it will be far cheaper in terms of your time, money (if there is any) and energy for you to reshoot it properly. You probably need to rotoscope it because the colors of her boots, pants and wall are pretty much the same.

Go down to some local fabric store and pick up some 6'x54" strips of medium green fabric for $10. Pin them to the wall and let the lowest one hang down to the ground where she is walking. Have her step a few feet away from the wall (if there is room). Place a couple lights on the back wall to illuminate the wall evenly.

Now you have something that you can work with easily. That will be cheaper and faster than rotoing.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 12:23:13 pm

[Philip Jacobs] "The clip will actully be overlayed as a ghosted image over another video clip ... id much rather just pull her out of the entire thing, then ghost her; a keying effect."

I'm with Cory ... since your intent is to key, re-shooting with a key background will be much faster and easier than roto and yield better results than masking ... even if it's not a perfect key.

Return to posts index

Philip JacobsRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 3:29:05 pm

I hear you guys. Believe me, I would if I could. But she was the one that filmed it, I dont live in the same state.
And keying was just a thought, I don't know if that's what she wants or not, that's what I WOULD LIKE, but I guess its up to her. (Although I may just do it and get it over with.)
Assuming I don't / can't key it, should I go with painting the base or using the rotobrush tool?
And depending on which one, do you have any good tutorials on it? I've never done either.
Thanks a bunch!

Philip Jacobs
messenjahmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Paint rotobrush over video image
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:34:13 pm

Tell her that, if she wants it to look good, she'll have to start with good footage. Have her reshoot it with a well-lit greenscreen.

If not, here are a bunch of useful resources for rotoscoping [link]. Tips, tricks, tutorials and more!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]