ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kevin hallAnimation
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 7:45:48 am

Hey people, I'm trying to create an ad similar to this:

in after effects but I can't work out the workflow properly. The closest I can get is by making really long documents in photoshop Illustrator and using the stroke effect and moving a camera along with it. This method seems fiddly and unnecessarily demanding on the computer. I'm sure there is a better way to achieve this but just cant see it. suggestions?

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Animation
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 8:01:35 pm

Although it's unclear why doing that with "really long" PSDs/AIs and a camera would be a problem, "really long" PSDs/AIs don't seem necessary ... or even a camera for that matter.

I might've missed something, but it seems the background doesn't change so all you would really need is one background layer, a few precomps that are 1-2 times the frame width of the main comp, a few 3D layers, a couple Stroke effects on open masks (that could extend beyond the frame width), some position keyframes and possibly a few instances of Offset.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Animation
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:14:43 pm

I agree with David. If it seems more complex than it should be then it is and you need to rethink it. Each animation is distinct. Make each one it's own comp on it's own layer. They only last a few seconds. In the master comp you have the next one appear off to the right, it's parented to the current one. When the current one slides off to the left, the new scene comes in with it. A separate comp is animating the line drawing to tie them together. Pretty easy to make it look complex. Just break it down.

Corporate Video

Return to posts index

kevin hallRe: Animation
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 9:11:36 am

thanks guys, The example I showed is similar but not exactly what i want obviously, I was kind of interested in having changing backgrounds but maybe I'll forget it. The photoshop files I used previously ended up really large files and my computer had a bit of trouble processing and rendering them, I think maybe because I had to render a the other ten or so screens that wern't shown as well as the ones that were?

Anyway thanks for the tips ill have a look at parenting a couple of screens and conecting them with a moving line.

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Animation
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:49:56 pm

If you have large files and layers to render, consider using proxies while you work. Then you only use the big files on the final render.

Return to posts index

Angie TaylorRe: Animation
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:24:51 am

Hi there,

There are a few things that will help make this process easier for you. One is to use the Layer panel, anchor point and Write-On effect rather than Stroke. The nice thing about this technique is that there's no need to animate the camera, it naturally follows the Anchor Point so it's MUCH easier to set up. There's a Quick tip outlining this technique here;

Hope this helps!

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved