ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can someone please give me the right preset to use for comp settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
Can someone please give me the right preset to use for comp settings?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:45:56 am

OK, so I'm editing a combination of video footage and photographs that I took using a Nikon D90 and Canon Legria HF200, the canon is HD but I think to make things simpler, Ill just do it in SD.

It will eventually be shown in HK on a 42'' via DVD player, so apparently HK in PAL.

Could someone please help me out a tell me what preset to use for the composition settings?? I really don't want to make a mistake here and never now which one I should use!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can someone please give me the right preset to use for comp settings?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 4:40:15 pm

[Ashley Davis] "...I'm editing a combination of video footage and photographs that I took using a Nikon D90 and Canon Legria HF20..."

Oh, please don't use After Effects for video editing, it's just about the WORST editing application ever devised by mankind. Get your video editing done first, and THEN start your AE work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ashley Davis
on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:10:18 pm

I'm using quite a lot of effects and images, a lot of which will be set out like a slide-show with slow zooms and focus in's etc. So would you say to just do the effects in AE and edit the rest in Premiere or something similar?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2011 at 5:19:15 pm

[Ashley Davis] "So would you say to just do the effects in AE and edit the rest in Premiere or something similar?"

I'd assume you know how this project will go together, how everything's going to time out, and that you have lots more video than necessary. I recommend editing the video into its proper place in an editing application like Premiere.

If you use Premiere, you have a few options for getting the edited video into AE. Since I cut with Final Cut Pro, I'm not familiar with them. But there's nothing stopping you from going to Premiere and AE's online help, and searching. Both are very search-friendly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:51:03 pm

If your final output will be playing on a standard-definition PAL DVD, then you use the composition settings preset for standard-definition PAL DVD (PAL D1/DV).

Here's a page that gives suggestions and principles for planning and setting up:
"Planning your work"
It suggests that if you only have one output type, then you should work in a composition that matches that output type.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:18:33 pm

Is there any chance whatsoever that this particular project may be revisited at a later date, and the delivery requirement may change to HD? If so, I'd consider working in an HD comp.

I'd guess that a 42-inch set has a 16x9 screen aspect ratio like HD does, but you would be well-advised to double-check if you don't already know. It means the difference between a 16x9 DVD or a 4x3 DVD. If it turns out to be a 42-inch standard-definition TV set, you'd make a 4x3 DVD.

If the following conditions are true:
• You'll work in an HD comp in AE
• You'll deliver a 4x3 DVD
You'll want to keep your important graphics in a 4x3 title safe area.

To work in an HD comp and deliver a 4x3 SD DVD, here's how to proceed:
• When done with your AE work, make a new PAL DV comp.
• Nest the HD comp in the SD comp
• Scale the nested comp to fit vertically in the SD comp. Find the command in Layer>Transform>Scale
• Render the SD comp in a high-quality codec
• Use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the file to MPEG2 for DVD authoring

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Feb 5, 2011 at 8:40:08 am

Hi there,

Todd's right, here in Europe you want to work in a PAL D1/DV composition for SD work.May I suggest a good workflow for you to create your project? as David says, After Effects isn't really designed as a video editing app so it will be tiresome editing footage there and waiting for previews. However, I understand your requirements to do FX work. This is a perfect situation to use the Dynamic Link features in CS5 as you'll get the best of both worlds with Prem Pro and AE.

Premiere Pro IS excellent at editing and you can even set up keyframes and effects in real time, creating a rough cut of your finished piece. The idea is then to open this in AE to tweak and fine tune FX and keyframes.

So, here's how! Create a project in Prem Pro using the PAL D1 SD preset. Capture or import all your source files. You can use the thumbnail view in the Project panel to create a rough storyboard for the piece before you bring footage down into the timeline, making sure that shot order and duration is roughly correct. This will save time later. Once you've done that, place your audio in the Timeline and then add the footage in the order it is sorted by using "Automate to Sequence' button. So that's the rough cut done.

Still in Prem Pro, make any edit adjustments required. Keyframe any basic transformations, add effects if necessary. Oce you are happy with the rough edit, and ready to jump to AE, either select the Sequence in the Project panel, or make a selection of clips that you want to finesse in the Timeline, Right-click and choose 'Dynamic Link' to open the selected clips in a translated AE timeline. Here you can do whatever you need to do in AE.

The beauty of this technique is that the link between the apps remains live so any changes made in AE automatically update in PremPro and visa versa, no need for rendering either way till the project is finally finished.

I used this technique on the last project I worked on and reckon it saved me about 40% of the time it would have taken me only using AE.

If you're in the UK please pop along to Broadcast Video Expo later this month where I'll be demo'ing this exact technique on the Adobe booth. Please say hello if you do. :-)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002?v=app_2344061033...

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]