ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ripping DVD Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul MeyerRipping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:28:00 pm

Hello,

In the process of ripping footage from a DVD, color correcting in AE,
and then posting clips on Vimeo. I'm using MPEG Streamclip to rip DVD footage under the compression of DV. This is SD footage, but I would like to ask any experts if there is a better compression setting to rip and to compress for posting on Vimeo. Currently the footage looks very interlaced.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Sincere thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ripping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:23:22 pm

[Paul Meyer] "...In the process of ripping footage from a DVD, color correcting in AE,
and then posting clips on Vimeo... the compression of DV... Currently the footage looks very interlaced."

That's probably because it IS interlaced.
KEEP it interlaced, but interpret the footage as Lower Field First and render it as Lower Field First.

You do yourself NO favors by converting to DV coded: MPEG 2 is lossy for starters, and DV is very lossy as well. Do the conversion over, this time using a lossless or uncompressed codec. If you're cutting in FCP, go with ProRes 422.

Then render in the same codec to which you converted the footage, and use something OTHER than AE to convert it to your final delivery codec, if necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul MeyerRe: Ripping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08:20 pm

Thank you David. Just curious to why I would not render the final output from AE. They'll be directly uploaded to Vimeo. Thanks again.
-Paul

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ripping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:22:06 pm

Don't worry, Dave; I got this.
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul MeyerRe: Ripping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:23:01 pm

Truly appreciate your help Dave & Michael. One last question: Do you have a preferred DVD ripper program? Currently I'm using MPEG Stream-Clip which is great, but didn't know if there is a better option.
Thanks again,
Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ripping DVD Footage
by on Feb 3, 2011 at 10:36:22 pm

[Paul Meyer] "Do you have a preferred DVD ripper program? "

Nope. MPEG Streamclip is probably the best of the bunch. You're good with it. If it doesn't work well, it's because you're trying to rip a copy-protected DVD... which is not just naughty, it's illegal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]