ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

zoom and match overlay

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Suttonzoom and match overlay
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 7:17:48 pm

This is, I think, a fairly basic problem I'm having but since I'm pretty new to AE I don't know the technical terms I need to google for the answer properly!

Anyway, I have a CU shot of a laptop screen which is static. Then the cam zooms out and we see that the laptop is on a desk.

Fair enough. In the CU there was a bit of camera shake so I stabilised that with tracking.

The laptop screen is blank so I added a layer with an image of some text on it (a png file). Now, when the camera is static this looks fine, but during the zoom phase obviously I have to change the size of the image/text layer. I've tried doing this manually by making loads of keypoints and adjusting the size of the image/text layer, but this seems very cumbersome and I figure there must be a simpler way. Maybe matching the image/text layer to points on the laptop or something?

If someone can point me to a tutorial or give me a hint it would be much appreciated! :)

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: zoom and match overlay
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 8:41:06 pm

There is an easier way - Motion Tracking.
Are you running CS4 or CS5? Then learn how to use Mocha. It's designed specifically for this type of work.

Here is a good tutorial to get you up to speed.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: zoom and match overlay
by on Feb 2, 2011 at 6:16:55 pm

Mocha is a great way to do tracking for AE. If you don't have it however, a solution could be as simple as getting your text layer to the coordinates (x,y,z) of the screen layer. (Make them 3D). Once everything looks how you want it to end up, parent the text layer to the screen layer with the pick whip. Scrub back to the start and the layer should stay in place. A more complicated camera move would require more work. Also check out Mathias Mohl's videos and plugins @

Have fun!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved