ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to fade lights and make a new object appear

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Donaldson
How to fade lights and make a new object appear
on Jan 30, 2011 at 11:22:57 pm

Hi. The title of this thread is confusing so I will do the best I can to explain my situation. I have a row of lights that are in a shape of a white vector object. What I want to do is fade out the lights while fading in the object. Problem is, whenever I try to reduce the opacity on the Null object attached to the lights, nothing happens. I have VCP's Optical Flares on the lights. When I reduce the opacity of the flares layer, the whole project area goes dark. My lights are lighting the whole workspace.

I don't know if I described my problem well enough for help, but here's hoping.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to fade lights and make a new object appear
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:43:56 am

You can't change the opacity of a child layer by changing the opacity of its a parent layer. Try using a simple pick-whip opacity expression on the child layers, linking them to the opacity of the null. Life instantly gets better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Donaldson
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:30:16 pm

I don't believe that the lights have an opacity transformation option. I have tried changing the opacity of the parent null but nothing changes at all. That is what I am having such a problem with.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:57:13 pm

You are correct that lights don't have an opacity option. They do have an option of how intense they are...which is pretty much the same thing.

You could tie that to the opacity of the parent with an expression.
You'd need the object you're bringing in to view while the lights fade out to be 2d so that it's not effected by the lights.
Alternatively you could keyframe on an ambient light as the point lights (or spot lights) are fading down.

You could also just fade out the OF layer...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dan Donaldson
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:05:51 pm

I had my object as a 3d layer. Maybe that is why it was not working correctly. I will try the opacity pickwhip. Thanks for your help. Also, how to you do a layer fade? Is it a transition effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:08:41 pm

You animate the layer's opacity Property, assuming you're not talking about lights. You can use the expression there. If no joy, you could try keyframes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Donaldson
on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:52:39 pm

I know how to regularly induce a fade. In this case I was talking about the lights. Normally, you would just adjust the intensity but in the project I am doing, I have the lights parented to a null controller that is controlling a light map. The opacity is always 0 unless there is something passing on the light map. the whole thing is like an LED display. In this case, I was using VCP's Optical Flares and I had a separate adjustment layer for it. I just reduced the opacity on that layer to coincide with the increase of opacity on my object layer. It gave me the effect that I wanted. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Feb 1, 2011 at 1:17:18 pm

Hi there,

As David says, an expression is ideal for this situation but you don't want to attach the expressions to a null. Here's what to do.

Open all of your light layers Intensity properties
Open the Object's Opacity Property.
For each of the light layers, add an expression to the Intensity value.
Drag the Expression pickwhip (not the parenting pickwhip!) from the Lights Intensity property to the Object's Opacity Property.
Once you've done this for all the lights, their intensity will reduce as the object fades.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Feb 1, 2011 at 1:22:33 pm

Oops! Forgot to add the last step! My last post will make the lights become less intense as the object fades out. To reverse this, so that the opposite happens, simply reverse the expression. you can do this either by adding *-1 at the end of the expression. Or by using the Linear expression to convert values e.g. to convert values between 1 and 100 to 100 and 1. The expression would be something like this;

a=thisComp.layer("FadingLayer").transform.opacity;
linear(a,1,100,100,1)

Hope this helps!

cheers,

Angie

Angie Taylor animation & illustration for television, film, web and devices

http://www.angietaylor.co.uk
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Dan Donaldson
on Feb 1, 2011 at 7:10:07 pm

Thanks. I will remember the expression for later use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]