ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 Rendering Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Güven GüngörAE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:20:06 pm

Hi,
I am a user of After Effects for 4 months but not a pro.
System of my PC: 2 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz+1.6 GHz Intel Celeron CPU, 512 MB ATI Radeon 3600 graphic card.
I was using Windows XP and there wasn't any problem, I updated to Windows 7 and AE started to work slower...

Yesterday I worked with some footage(HD) -AVI, XviD MPEG4 Codec- and completed my project but rendering stopped after the intro part.(Intro is just some white text on a black background.) I tried to render again, it rendered the first 1-2 frames of the HD part too but then stopped again.

The problem isn't about a single frame because I tried to start the render from diffrent frames, it rendered 10-15 frames, and stopped again.
"OpenGL" is off, also "Render Multipal Frames Simultaneously" is off too.

The rendering is too slow that I can't see the "Elapsed" time regularly, it changes as AE completes a new frame.
Also the temperature of the CPU becomes 35-40 centigrade degree. (It's 25-30 when you don't do anything in the PC.)

Maybe it's because of I use 2 diffrent compositions in the project which are from diffrent After Effects project files? (I put a screenshot about it below.)
aeproblem.jpg

(Output format is "Video for Windows")

I worked too many hours in this project and it's important for me to render it.
Thanks for any helps.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:38:57 pm

If you're on CS4 or an older version of AE, you can't use MPEG footage. I refer you to

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Güven GüngörRe: AE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 6:30:39 pm

I converted all of my footage and edited all of it again...(actually copied the effects from the old composition to the new one)
When I render,an error like "After Effects out of memory, 1025K requested" appeared and I press the "OK" button. After 30 frames, the same error again, then I closed again, and the same error in nearly every 30 frames... I sit in front of the PC for 40 minutes and pressed the "OK" button for many times.
It was boring but rendering was good, I made my video...

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: AE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:30:47 pm

2 Gigs of RAM is way too little for AE. Add more when you can; it's pretty cheap these days.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:31:39 pm

I'm surprised you didn't have even more problems. Your screen shot shots that you used an mp3 file, and AE doesn't render compressed audio well.

Rendering to a highly-compressed codec like Windows Video takes a lot of time. It may have even caused your out of memory errors. It's almost always better to render to an uncompressed or lossless codec in AE, and then do the compression in an application DESIGNED to do good compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:15:12 pm

I'm sure you are all right, but there wasn't any problems like these when I was using Windows XP and 2GB RAM was totally enough for me/for rendering. I used to make my videos by this way.

Always I was rendering to "Windows Video" and it was very big for me, then I was compressing the video with "Virtual Dub" to XviD MPEG-4 Codec AVI then I was counting it as a compressed video. But I didn't know that Windows Video format is a really high-compressed format because it is nearly 20 GB for 4 minutes of video.

Anyway, thanks for the help. But all I couldn't understand is you said that AE CS4 can't render MPEG4 codec footage but when was using Windows XP I was only working with them and rendering without no problem...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 Rendering Problem
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:33:11 pm

[Güven Güngör] " I couldn't understand is you said that AE CS4 can't render MPEG4 codec footage but when was using Windows XP I was only working with them and rendering without no problem..."

Well, sometimes people get lucky. I think your luck is now gone.

Everyone I know who has AE 9 converts mp4 video before they use it in AE because mp4 video either never worked in the first place, or it mysteriously stopped working.

The mp4 footage is almost surely the cause of your problems, and not so much rendering to Windows video.

But you should get more RAM. AE loves RAM. It works better with more RAM.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:31:03 pm

Ok, thanks for your helps and all of these answers.

I have a new little question: if I will not use mp4 and mp3 again, which format should I use for video and audio files?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]