ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Effect question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett HatfieldEffect question
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:10:44 pm

Does anyone know how to freeze the video for about 5 seconds - while it freezes change the background color and take the subjects in the video and pull them out a little bit?

Thanks
Brett

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Effect question
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:31:34 pm

[Brett Hatfield] "Does anyone know how to freeze the video for about 5 seconds -"

Sure, but you need to think this one through: will the video then resume motion after that five seconds? If yes, it requires a totally different technique than a simple freeze.

Please clarify.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brett HatfieldRe: Effect question
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:35:39 pm

Yes the video will remain playing. I do wedding videos and would like the bride to stand out for a little bit, then the groom as well. I have the whole sequence in Avid, so I don't know if I have to import the whole sequence. Or, if I can just do the clip that needs to be done, then import that into Avid.

I have absolutley no idea how after effects works.

Thanks

brett

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:14:08 pm

[Brett Hatfield] "Yes the video will remain playing."

This ain't your stroll through the garden in AE, this could mean a lot of work for you, so clarity is essential on this point.

Do you want to the video to FREEZE, then resume playing, or do you mean you want the video to play continuously?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brett HatfieldRe: Effect question
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:47:16 pm

I would want it to look like this.

Have the video play - freeze everything for about 5 seconds - while it freezes pull the subjects out a little bit. Then resume playing again.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:22:44 pm

I couldn't tell -- at this time of day, everyone's on the net and I'm getting about 2 frames/sec at best on playback.

So this thread's on hold for this kid. Maybe someone else will join in.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:31:36 pm

I couldn't tell -- at this time of day, everyone's on the net and I'm getting about 2 frames/sec at best on playback.

So this thread's on hold for this kid. Maybe someone else will join in.

Or you could simply think about the sequence of thing you want to happen, muster all your powers of description and write in out in plain English.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Effect question
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:31:32 pm

Brett, your lack of specifics makes it more difficult for us to answer your question in a time effective manner which means it may not get answered.

It happens right at this time: 0:55

You'll do it in steps.

- First find where you want to do the freeze frame.
- Split the layer at the point you want to freeze the action.
- Take a screen shot of the frame you want to freeze into photo shop.
- Separate the character and any other elements you want to animate from the background.
- Apply a stroke as shown.

- Import the photoshop file as a new comp.
- Animate the layers for a few seconds; make them 3d and mess with movement as shown.
- Have all of this be it's own comp which plays for a few seconds after the first part of the split layer. You may wish to trim off a few frames at the beginning for a smoother effect.

- Take the rest of the split layer and have it play after the new comp.
- Apply a flash effect for a few frames at the beginning of this section.
- Export this as a clip and put it in your NLE.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Effect question
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:24:38 pm

[Brett Hatfield] I have absolutley no idea how after effects works.

Then I highly suggest you go here first [link]. Go through all the resources linked there. AE is not something you can just hop into and figure out. It is very broad AND very deep. And what you're asking for requires a working knowledge of AE before you'll be able to get it the way you want it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam HeayberdRe: Effect question
by on Feb 21, 2011 at 3:54:59 am

Hi there,

I posted a similar question and after I did, found on youtube a video of someone recreating the effect. When asked how he did it, he replied 'freeze frame, open in photoshop, split the layers, add the photo effects, send to AE/motion, create the motion effects then open in Final Cut.

Anyway....not with the most in-depth prompting, I went with my own instinct and actually got this;
1. http://vimeo.com/20171759
Its raw and basic but I just wanted to work out the steps...then I refined it a little and got this:
2. http://vimeo.com/20171759
Bit more like I was after....

This was all using FCP 7, Photoshop CS4 and Motion 4....yep...not AE...(sorry)

So to share in the knowledge Ive gained, I will do a screen recording and offer a tut but in the meantime, the steps are (roughly) as follows...

1. Create a still from the frame you want - export with QT conversion, change the format to jpeg, click the options and pick .psd to save the file as that extension.
2. Open in PS, using pen tool, separate the layers you want to stylise and then play around with them. In the first video, I merely did a colour overlay then change the blending and in the 2nd video, I applied a filter.
3. Convert the layars to 'smart objects' (or the filters etc wont be applied when you move across to motion), and then open the .psd file in Motion. Make sure you change the prompt to bring 'all layers' in separately and not as merged.
4. In motion, and with both vids, I added generators for the circles and for the bars and using key frames, made them grow etc.
5. Add a camera and hit yes when it asks to convert the project to 3D. Apply the camera you wish, i.e. DOLLY or SWEEP to get the movement.
6. Once your happy, just save as a motion file and import into FCP.
7. Once imported, insert the clip in as the next part of your sequence after the frame where you took the freeze and make it the desired length
8. after the stylised clip, insert the rest of the original clip so that it all becomes seemless.

Its the way I found it to work and as Im not a seasoned editor, it may not be the best but hey, it works...kinda.

After looking around, some people say that whether you use motion or AE, the steps are pretty similar.

Like I said, when I get a chance, I will do a screen recording of how I got the result but in the meantime, I hope that this helps.

Cheers

Adam

Editor & Self Shooter in the UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]