ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vector strokes when using 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin NiklassonVector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 3:09:03 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find a solution to this problem and I'm not sure there is one. But anyway, I have a layer with 1px stroke vectors. I've turned this layer into a 3d layer which, naturally, changes the width of the strokes according to the perspective. I don't want this to happen, ie I want the lines to be in perspective but to keep the same stroke width all the way. Now I know AE isn't primarily a program for animating vectors, but is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:40:22 pm

There is a more fundamental question to ask:
"Will these 1-pixel strokes even be visible when I deliver my finished work?"

Such narrow graphics often are lost during compression to the final delivery codec. You may want to think about that first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin NiklassonRe: Vector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:51:44 pm

Good point. But disregarding that, say the strokes were 10pt or whatever necessary, would what I'm after be possible to achieve?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Vector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:28:32 pm

You'd have to paint in the desired strokes -- it wouldn't be automatic.

There would be absolutely no perspective in it. It wouldn't be in the least bit 3D. It would look like an orthographic drawing. It would defeat the purpose or working in a 3D comp.

So, yeah, you can do it. If that's what you want, knock yourself out. Just don't expect your long, hard work to look 3D, because it won't.

There's a reason for going 3D, and that's to incorporate perspective. When you defeat the look of perspective, what's the point of 3D?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: Vector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:55:50 pm

If you precompose the layer, the new comp will be a 2d layer again. You can then add a stroke layer style to the new comp. The 3D layer can be animated underneath and the 2d stroke will update.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Martin NiklassonRe: Vector strokes when using 3D
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:59:52 am

Thanks Cory, I will try that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]