ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shining Lights Behind A Door

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Tai
Shining Lights Behind A Door
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:20:38 pm

I'm relatively new to After Effects, having just read and followed a few tutorials to do simple particle stuff. But I have been searching around to see if there were any tutorials but I couldn't seem to find any. I have no idea how to do what I want to do and I hope someone here could shed some light on it or perhaps provide me with a few links to tutorials which I could follow.

What I want to do is to have a Black Comp, then the outline of a door is drawn clockwise from the top, then right and then bottom side of the door. Then the door will slowly open out from right to left along the side that is not lighted up. As the door opens, I want shining rays of white/blueish light to shine through the opening and eventually envelop the whole open area. Then the camera zooms into the white light.

Out of all that I have described there, I only know how to do the camera zooming. How can I carry out the rest?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Shining Lights Behind A Door
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:54:36 pm

Black layers for your wall and door over a white layer. Then apply CC Lightburst on an adjustment layer. Then something like Tint, CC Toner, or Colorama to colorize the light burst. (If you have Trapcode's Shine, you can avoid CC Lightburst and colorizing it and just do everything with Shine.)

As for drawing the door. Make a new layer, draw a mask in the shape you want and apply Stroke.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tai
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:50:03 am

Hey thanks a lot Szalam :D But unfortunately... I only managed to get my door drawn out.. I don't know how to make the light shine through the path I made with the stroke and I don't know how to animate the door >< Could you be so kind as to tell me how? The tutorial you provided was great by the way.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 26, 2011 at 4:09:15 pm

Your door layer should be 3d.
You should move the anchor point of the layer to the hinge side.
Animate the y rotation.

As for getting the stroke to shine. Put it under the adjustment layer with CC Lightburst or Shine or whatever recipe you're using for light. Also, look into using Effect>Stylize>Glow.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tai
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:39:56 am

Hey thanks for your help so thus far Szalam, I've somehow managed to get it to work. It looks okay generally but it doesn't look great. The door frame isn't really that obvious and the open door cannot be seen. I've uploaded the file I've been working on. Could you perhaps help me with the extra stuff?

1551_door.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:13:20 pm

I didn't have a lot of time to play with it (I'm headed out on a shoot in 3 minutes), but I think I got what you asked for put in there as well as an added bit of extra flavor.
1558_door.aep.zip

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Andrew Tai
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:25:07 pm

Hey man, I just can't thank you enough. I've taken a look at the one you uploaded and I am really impressed at your work even if you say it only took a while. I've learnt so much from the one you sent me and have since made some changes to my own. I'm really happy with the outcome. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:40:31 pm

Yeah I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it, but, due to years of experience, I can do things a lot faster in a few minutes than a beginner can. That's why experienced folks can charge more per hour - we DO more per hour :)

I'm glad I was able to help. That's why this forum is here and that's why I'm in this forum.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:59:15 pm

Michael, I was looking for a similar effect and found this in the search results. It's simple yet amazing. Would you be willing to share your steps in a detailed tutorial?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]