ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

removing stutter in objects that move across screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Hildebrand
removing stutter in objects that move across screen
on Jan 23, 2011 at 6:23:37 pm

I've had this problem before, and have never found a solution...
I am moving solid color rectangles across the screen in 2D space, and the vertical edges have a stutter effect going on, not at all smooth.

I've tried reduce interlace flicker, different blur effects and amounts, and a slight motion blur (I really want a clean smooth look, and for the edges to not look blurred as they move) with a slight improvement, but still not totally smooth. I've tried moving it slower or faster, but I am trying to hit certain beats in a music track so I can only move it so much.

I even tried not moving the position key frames at all, and using a linear wipe to achieve the same look, and it still looks jumpy.

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
Re: removing stutter in objects that move across screen
on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:32:48 am

It appears to stutter when it moves vertically? Maybe this will help. Move it vertically at a multiple of the frame rate of your comp. For instance if you are at 23.976 frames/sec, move it vertically only 23.976 pixels/sec or 47.952 p/s or 143.856 p/s.

This is the same problem and solution for doing a vertical credit roll. Thus if you search this forum (I think AE regular, not basics) you'll find an expression that will exactly the above. It's designed for a credit roll but is easily modifiable.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Susan Hildebrand
on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:19:14 am

Thanks for the quick reply Cory.

Actually the objects are moving horizontally.. but I see the stutter on the vertical edges of the rectangle as they move horizontally across the screen. Does the same apply to horizontal moves?

susan

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Jan 24, 2011 at 8:12:32 am

Are they moving perfectly horizontal with no vertical movement? If not, then they are moving vertically. The below may help as well.

If so, then describe more details. What is your comp frame rate and resolution? What is your output deliverable? How are you watching it stutter? Through a ram preview, a delivery codec, hitting space bar? Can you show a screen shot or clip of what you are seeing?

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Susan Hildebrand
on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:40:17 pm

yes they are moving perfectly horizontal (at least at the point where I see the stutter). Here is a link to a clip: http://www.susanhildebrand.com/PR/01%20PR_MAIN_TITLE%20v2.mov

I see it most in the white bar at the bottom, and magenta at the top. I am watching it in QuickTime or as a ram preview, see it either way..frame rate is 23.967, 720 x 480 and using animation compression.
I was planning on giving it to an editor at animation compression and letting him export it however he needs to for a playable DVD (he sees it too in Final Cut btw).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:58:21 pm

The animation looks fine. It's the frame rate that's giving you fits, and it's something that both you and the editor will have to get used to.

23.976 is a comparatively low frame rate. You only get about 24 times every second to look at the motion. At a higher frame rate like 59.94, you get about 60 times every second to look at the motion, so the motion looks a lot smoother.

Your project is at 23.976-- you can't change that -- how can you make motion look smoother? You have to change the speed of the motion. Since speed is a function of distance and time, you can either:
1) move a smaller distance in the same period of time, or
2) move the original distance over a longer period of time.

Those are your two options. If neither of them are viable, you have to live with the motion you currently have.

And frankly, it doesn't look bad at all! I think it's nice motion! That's just what happens at 23.976.

If you want smoother motion, you have to work at a frame rate that gives you smoother motion, and 23.976 ain't it. That's the price you and your editor pay for wanting to work at film frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 24, 2011 at 6:48:20 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Your project is at 23.976-- you can't change that -- how can you make motion look smoother? You have to change the speed of the motion. Since speed is a function of distance and time, you can either:"

yep... over the years the motion picture industry has developed specific rates for camera pans and other camera movements that will look smooth at 24fps... you're basically in the same situation, you need to find a rate that looks smooth at 24p.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Susan Hildebrand
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:01:15 pm

okay thanks to you all
I thought I might be missing some magic effect but guess not

Return to posts index

Cory Petkovsek
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:29:30 am

I agree, it looks fine. Looking frame by frame or during animation I see no artifacts or anything that looks weird.

Vertical edges are clean during movement. Horizontal edges are slightly blurred during lateral movement. It all moves as it should.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]