ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Work flow question. AE and FCP?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fumo Arboles
Work flow question. AE and FCP?
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:51:46 pm

Not sure if this is in the right spot for this question but here it goes: Im working shot on a on a project shot on a 5d MARK ll where I will convert all the footage to black and white and chroma key (not sure if this is the right term) all of the red object in the footage to show (sort of like the movie Pleasantville). Then I plan to animate all of the objects, which are words that are red in the background, to shake and move a little. Im editing the footage in FCP then plan to do the animations (movement of the red word) in aftereffects. All of the scenes will be black and white with the red highlight effects and the only ONE scene will show the shaking animation efects. My question is how to start my workflow? Should i just edit the piece first in FCP then do all of the effects in AE (such as converting the footage to black and white and chroma key the red colors) OR just edit AND chroma key the the red colors from the footage first in FCP then just do the animation part (the movement and shake of the words in the background) in AE? How should this be approached? I used AE before but never to this compacity. thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Work flow question. AE and FCP?
on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:42:45 pm

[Fumo Arboles] "Im working shot on a on a project shot on a 5d MARK ll... Im editing the footage in FCP..."

Well, first things first -- forget about FCP-AE workflow for a moment. I hope you know the proper way to ingest DSLR footage into FCP:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

[Fumo Arboles] "Should i just edit the piece first in FCP then do all of the effects in AE (such as converting the footage to black and white and chroma key the red colors)"

That's what I would do. In AE, look for the Leave Colors effect; it does the Pleasantville effect nicely, and especially for one color.

[Fumo Arboles] "the movement and shake of the words in the background"

This sounds like a combination of motion tracking and animationg position, possibly with rotoscoping thrown in as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fumo Arboles
Re: Work flow question. AE and FCP?
on Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18:58 pm

[Fumo Arboles] "the movement and shake of the words in the background"

[This sounds like a combination of motion tracking and animationg position, possibly with rotoscoping thrown in as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA]

Thanks for the quick follow up! I plan to make the words in the background vibrate, sort of like the vibration that comes off a speaker . Im thinking of using the wiggler effect on the words only (not on the entire shot) but not sure if this is my best bet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]