ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rovert ScottAE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:31:16 pm

HELP!
I am currently having some difficulties with my After Effects 5.5 program.

Last night I was trying to import a Photoshop PSD file while preserving the individual layers that make up the photo file. I was able to do so by a method I can no longer remember nor duplicate. Also, the File -> Import -> File... button does not respond at all now when I click it. I now have to drag files from My Computer into the project window if I wish to import any file.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could explain my problem and how to fix it.

Thank You

Rovert Scott

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:58:59 pm

AE 5.5? Wow, that was five versions ago! The first version with 3D layers and expressions!

I believe AE 5.5 would let you import a photoshop document as a comp. Give it a shot.

What kind of computer can run AE 5.5? What's the OS?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rovert ScottRe: AE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:14:50 pm

Well I'm running it on a Windows XP machine, and for what I do it's all I need.

I believe that's what I did last night, but for some reason the "Import File" button in the drop down menu is completely unresponsive. So even if I wanted to AE wont open the file browser to let me import.

Any Ideas? I'm thinking I might need to re-install it, everything else works though. I just don't know.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:33:30 pm

Well, here's a thought: if you rarely or never turn off your machine, just turn it off and turn it on again. Give it a shot before going to all the trouble of uninstalling and re-installing. Sometimes a simple act like that can be very therapeutic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:37:46 pm

I'm going to try restarting the computer.

I tried the Alt Key as I dragged a file in, but it prompted me to either choose a layer or merge all layers.

...Restarting

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:47:27 pm

[Rovert Scott] "...Restarting"

Actually, I meant turn the computer OFF. Leave it off for a couple of minutes. Then turn it back on again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:28:11 pm

when menu items don't work in a piece of software, i'd start thinking that possibly the app isn't compatible with my os.... if you on windows, and you aren't using xp or earlier, or on osx that isn't 10.4 (tiger) or earlier, that may be the case. you may even need to go earlier than that... 5.5 is like 7 years old.

and if you happen to be using an intel mac, i'd say you really need to update your ae...

anyway, since the file>import isn't working, try dragging the psd into ae while holding a modifier key like alt or option. holding one of the modifier keys should trigger the import options to import as comp with all the other options associated with that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE 5.5 Import files is unresponsive
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:41:19 pm

this has nothing to do with your problem, but i had to go and look up 5.5...

released jan 2002. the second version to have 3d layers. the first version to be released for osx, so rather than tiger, i suppose it ran on tabby cat, or kitten :-)

also, i can't guarantee the modifier key-drag worked for 5.5, but i did just try it on cs4 (mac) and the option key (which should be the same as the pc's alt key) worked.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:58:42 pm

Well I just did a full system Restart and it did not fix the problem. I believe a reinstall is in order. Probably just some overlooked code error with no real fix to it.

Thanks for your guys help though, I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]