ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Collapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jos VermeulenCollapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:13:29 am

I have a scene which uses illustrator vectors in animation.
I've turned collapstransformations on for the vector layers to keep them sharp/crisp when zooming.

But when I render out the animation with fields it gets weird artifacts, like banding on the edges. When you import the rendered footage back into AE (with seperate upper fields) it looks like the vector art is still interlaced on the edges!

This seems to be a bug, because my friend just told me today that he had weird edges when rendering interlaced and collapsetransform. Which at the time I thought was his fault! But now I'm thinking different. SD resolution has this artifact pretty bad, HD has it to but not so noticable.

Anyone got the same problem? Or know a solution.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Collapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:00:43 pm

It sounds like one of three things:
  • You're viewing properly-interlaced video in the correct field order on a computer monitor and not a video monitor.
  • You rendered in the incorrect field order.
  • Any interlaced video footage in the project was interpreted in the wrong field order.

Are you familiar with interlacing and field order?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Collapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:06:07 pm

Just to clear up some terminology. That button actually has two names. When it's used on a vector layer it's called Continuously Rasterize.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Collapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:26:09 pm

ae doesn't do a great job of deinterlacing, so on hard edges, you'll almost always have some artifacts... but that doesn't really matter, since ae is not the final destination, right?

i assume that the render now goes to an nle, or a device that will playback in fields (dvd, tape, broadcast playout device)... that's where you need to look at the render, and why dave asks if you are viewing the playback on a broadcast monitor, rather than a computer screen.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Jos VermeulenRe: Collapse Transformations vs Interlaced output. - Bug ?
by on Jul 27, 2011 at 4:35:51 pm

No. I have this problem to. I had this problem few months ago and I'm having it now again!

This is really a BUG!
I have a blackmagic and LCD. I will have a check but it really doenst look good, even back in AE!

Especially if you have a EPS that you scale up to 200%, put collapse transformations on, and render that out as a quicktime with fields, you will notice it immediately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved