ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask vs. Matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonMask vs. Matte
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:39:48 am

Hi CC,

I'm learning about keying and have had a decent amount of process after spending time getting to understand the process.

What I find is that the edge of the key really determines mask lines between the core.

However, it's also a matte. So...When I read mask or matte how do they technically differ? As they're often used in the same context.

I know this is a dumb question but I work with animation pros and don't want to sound like a dumbass if the subject comes up.

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Mask vs. Matte
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:43:07 pm

The AE manual sums it up better than I could.

A matte is a layer (or any of its channels) that defines the transparent areas of that layer or another layer. White defines opaque areas, and black defines transparent areas. An alpha channel is often used as a matte, but you can use a matte other than the alpha channel if you have a channel or layer that defines the desired area of transparency better than the alpha channel does, or in cases where the source image doesn’t include an alpha channel.

A mask in After Effects is a path that is used as a parameter to modify layer attributes, effects, and properties. The most common use of a mask is the modification of an alpha channel of a layer, which determines the transparency of the layer at each pixel. Another common use of a mask is as a path along which to animate text.

So when you use Keylight, you are creating an alpha channel (not a mask) on that layer. You can also use it to create a Luma Matte (my preferred method)
which defines transparency for the original unkeyed layer below.

Footage that doesn't have enough color or luminance information to isolate discreet areas of the image requires a user-created animated mask to generate transparency (its Alpha Channel). That's what rotoscoping is.

Masks are created with the Marquee, Pen, and Autotrace tools.

Hope that helps.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Mask vs. Matte
by on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:11:26 pm

Okay, that makes things more defined.

Like, mattes involve alpha via chroma/luma. Masks involve cropping by bezier.

One is alpha, the other transparency. That sounds odd, but that's my understanding of it.

Thanks Joey! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved