ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects issues with the effects themselves?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oli ClaysonAfter effects issues with the effects themselves?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:46:31 pm

Whenever I try to use effects on an object in after effects CS5 it does this:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2cqn1ah.png - with Red-Giant Warp Reflection.

http://i51.tinypic.com/15fqfk1.png - with Video Copilot Twitch.

As you can see it only the effect is only seen within the area of the object.

Am I being really stupid and have just clicked something? Or what?

Also, I am on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After effects issues with the effects themselves?
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:59:04 pm

[Oli Clayson] "As you can see it only the effect is only seen within the area of the object."

if the layer is actually that size, then that is common... many effects are limited to the size/boundaries of the layer, not the screen or comp.

there are a few ways around that. one is apply the effect to an adjustment layer. of course the adjustment layer needs to be comp-sized. in addition, all layers bellow the adjustment layer will be effected... that can be good or bad depending on what you're after.

another option is to add the grow bounds or rgs grow bounds (red giants version) effect before the otehr effects. this which will usually expand the edges of a layer to allow the effects to go beyond the boundaries of the layer. there are some instances where ae's grow bounds doesn't work, but red giants does.

if you don't have rgs grow bounds (or it didn't work either), i've found that cc repetile can also work. it allows you to expand in 4 directions independently (up, down, left, right), but you need to set the tiling option to 'none' (i think this option was introduced in later version of the effect, so if you have an earlier version of ae, 'none' may not be available).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]