ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

duplicating a comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sanchaduplicating a comp
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:57:22 pm

Hi...

I have set up a comp with 1 layer in it. This is part of a merry go round. All the attributes and keyframes etc are in this layer.

Now I want to duplicate this comp so it is has all the same qualities and slide it along 10 frames and then go into it and change the image of the fairground ride from horse to elephant. This way I get all the same movements, but when I change the "ride". It changes all of them as well.

Renaming the comp does not make them independent either. So how to make a new comp identical in settings, but unique. Plz thanks.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: duplicating a comp
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:04:56 pm

I think you'll find this script very helpful.

http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: duplicating a comp
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:08:27 pm

There are two ways to describe the process here in the States:
1) "Piece Of Cake!" or 2) "Easy As Pie!".

Whichever dessert you choose, here's how to do it:
  • Duplicate the existing comp
  • Rename the existing comp
  • Open the renamed comp
  • Use the Replace Footage command to put in the new animal

Slick, huh?

Oh, oh, oh! To do the Replace Footage trick, highlight the layer in question in the comp. Highlight the replacement footage in the project window. Option-drag the replacement footage into the highlighted layer in the comp. On a Windows box, I guess that would be an Alt-drag instead.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

anita sanchaRe: duplicating a comp
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:12:05 pm

Thanks Dave.

That is what I tried in the first place and hence this post.

I am feeling pretty stupid as I cant think why this is happening. If I change the name of the comp in settings the comps have different names. but If I change the layer inside in any of them... i.e tint. It tints all of the comps. So these comps are still the same despite name change. These layers are just 1 layer no nests just 1 plain layer. It should work.

Maybe I can just make new comps and copy the masks etc on that comp. and copy paste the layer inside, but I just does not seem to be easy for some reason.

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:18:02 pm

Oh, wait.

I thought you had the comps in question NESTED in a main comp. Duplicating a nested comp, renaming it and replacing the footage would let you addd it as an entirely new layer.

It's a common practice, but I don't know if it would work in your case. Not enough info to know for sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:34:18 pm

Ok

Hope this helps. Thanks for your help.

I have a main comp and inside this I made a layer which had a horse and all the atributes of movements. Then I nested this (called it horse) and moved the attributes when the nest was made. So I have a new comp (horse) and inside it the layer.

I want to duplicate the comp (horse) and then rename it (elephant) and then go into that nest and replace the image to one of an elephant.

I want to go back to main comp and move the comp (Elephant 10 frames). So I then should have a horse followed by an elephant.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:46:48 pm

[anita sancha] "I want to duplicate the comp (horse) and then rename it (elephant) and then go into that nest and replace the image to one of an elephant."

Yeah, you can do that. I bet you were simply duplicating in the wrong place. Here's what to do:
  • Duplicate the horse comp in the PROJECT WINDOW, and rename it elephant.
  • Open the elephant comp.
  • Use the replace footage trick to replace the horse with an elephant in the elephant comp.
  • Add the elephant comp to the main comp, and move it by 10 frames.

You can repeat this process for burros, ducks, bison, dolphins and water buffalos... any animal bigger than a breadbox.

I don't know about amoebae -- they're teeny-tiny critters, and it would be tough to ride on them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: duplicating a comp
by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:15:29 pm

For your duplicated comp, all of the nested comps have to be duplicated and renamed as well, before changing the attributes of their layer(s).
Simple enough, but if you have to do this several times it gets tedious and time consuming.

It was this situation I found myself in with a client.
The True Comp duplicator takes the hassle out of it, hence my recommendation.

Maybe this demo video will sell you -

http://aeportal.blogspot.com/2010/04/true-comp-duplicator-after-effects.htm...

Best of luck.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:42:09 pm

Yuhoooo

Great thanks that works... actually its not horses and elephants but that was the only way to describe it. Its part of my latest animation called "the plastic planet" and it is different plastic rubbish going around the world like a merry go round.!!! But If I had tried to describe it you may have thought me mad!!!

Thanks a bunch . I was having so much trouble duplicating comps....

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]