ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can't Hear Audio But Audio Waveform is Visible

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce MacKown
Can't Hear Audio But Audio Waveform is Visible
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:23:24 pm

I'm just trying to make a basic lyric (music) video to learn AE. I dropped a music video into the composition but when I play, although I can see the video and "see" the audio (i.e. the waveform is visible) I can't hear the audio. I looked at Project Settings, which was set at Audio Sample Rate of 48khz. According to the file properties the audio of the music video is at 44.1khz so I changed project settings to 44.1khz but i still can't hear the audio. I also tried just putting an audio (mp3) file in the composition. Again the waveform is visible but I can't hear the audio.

Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Can't Hear Audio But Audio Waveform is Visible
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:05:31 pm

How are you trying to preview this video?
If you're pressing spacebar, that's not the correct workflow for After Effects. More info here [link].

If it turns out that that was the problem, you really need to start here [link]. AE is a lot more complicated than you think.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Bruce MacKown
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:14:15 pm

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I'm a newbie to AE and my experience with Premiere Pro is probably hurting more than helping so I'll go ahead and follow those links you suggested before I post anymore questions. Hopefully I'll figure out the solution to my problem just by learning properly from the start instead of just diving in and hoping to figure it out on my own.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:13:40 pm

Diving into AE without guidance does tend to turn frustrating rather quickly. It behaves very differently from an NLE (because it IS very different).
Getting a solid foundation is rather important. Have fun and welcome to the world of After Effects!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:39:55 pm

In addition to Michael's wise advice, here's another tip for future reference: don't use compressed audio like mp3's in AE. It can behave oddly with compressed audio. Convert them into wav or aiff files for use in AE.

Sure, the audio file size can bloat from 2mb to 22mb, but how much is that really? A second or two of video? Not a big deal. Cheap insurance.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]