ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mask copying

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe StasMask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:05:35 pm

Hi
I'm trying to put a solid with text on top into my composition. My plan was to make it sit in the middle of the frame and when a person moves past it, they go in front of the solid and text. I have animated a mask for the person so that the area of the solid that he goes in front of is no longer seen. If that makes sense.

Kind of like this clip. Notice the way the characters move in front of the text boxes

The problem I am having is that when I copy the mask to the text layer the position of the mask is somewhere entirely different. The animation is the same but the mask is in the wrong place. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be massively appreciated as I don't fancy animating another mask just for the text. Thanks a lot for reading
Joe

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:13:25 pm

The H&V resolution PLUS the pixel aspect ratio of both layers have to match. If they don't, copied masks get goofy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe StasRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:17:06 pm

Thanks very much. I'm very new to this so if you could advise me on what H&V is and how I can adjust those properties I would be very grateful. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:36:41 pm

H = horizontal
V = vertical
And here's the straight skinny on pixel aspect ratio:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:40:58 pm

rather than copy/paste the mask, try using the layer with the mask on it already as a track matte for the text layer.

move the layer with the mask above the text layer, with the text layer selected choose layer>track matte>alpha matte (or alpha inverted) -- the track matte options are also selectable from the modes panel in the timeline.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:48:09 pm

To expand a little bit on what Dave said...

When you copy a mask from one layer and paste it to another layer, the mask will be pasted at the same coordinates on the second layer. The potentially confusing part is that these coordinates are measured relative to each layer. If your text layer is smaller than your footage layer, or if it's shifted down and to the right (or whatever), then the pasted mask isn't going to line up with the copied original.

That said, Kevin's suggestion about looking into using track mattes is a good one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:53:31 pm

Thanks for all the help. I'm just about getting my head around it all. All my aspect ratios 'should' be fine after double checking. Is there anyway to line up the co-ordinates of each object easily? ie. Can I adjust my text layer to sit with my solid object?

Also, thanks for the tips regarding track mattes. I will have a look into them. I had a quick play with your suggestion, Kevin, but when I applied the matte the black solid object disappeared. Can I keep that in and still have the subject go in front of the text?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mask copying
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:19:40 pm

[Joe Stas] "black solid object disappeared. Can I keep that in and still have the subject go in front of the text?"

you could either make the layer active again (by clicking the eyeball for that layer) or by using a duplicate of the layer. using a duplicate would allow you to change it's layer order, making it active would still require it to be the layer above the text layer (that's just how track mattes work).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:28:53 am

Hi,
Thanks for all the help. It's very much appreciated and I managed to solve my problem and learn some new things at the same time. This forum is fantastic. Thanks again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]