ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Remove glitter from subject

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl GoldsmithRemove glitter from subject
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:36:06 pm

We’ve just wrapped on a short film, but one of the actors – because he is a true professional – went to a party and was covered in glitter on the day of shooting. Despite spending over an hour longer in make-up than all of the other actors, there is still noticeable glitter on his face and arms in his scenes.

Currently the only option I can feasibly think of is exporting each frame into Photoshop and using the blemish removal tool to erase all the glitter, but with the amount of footage I have, that would be very time-consuming. I was wondering if any of you had any better ideas on how to do it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Remove glitter from subject
by on Aug 13, 2014 at 4:06:22 pm

I've been there, there really isn't an easy way to do this.

The only thing I can think of is creating a clean overlay for each piece of glitter, then tracking in AE, then apply the track to your clean overlay. Still going to be a lot of work, and you will end up with some blending issues.

If reshoots aren't possible, I would try some creative editing first, clean-up work second.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Carl GoldsmithRe: Remove glitter from subject
by on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:05:28 pm

That sounds like a pretty sensible idea, thanks for the suggestion. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been in this position!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved