ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

View across a glass door effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan CamachoView across a glass door effect
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 1:45:57 am

Hello everybody!

I'm making a scene where a smoke is flying behind a glass door. (The smoke is from videocopilot, cgi). This door have 9 glasses in mosaic. I'm closing the door to prevent the smoke for coming out. But the thing is: That I want to make these 9 glasses be transparent, so I can see the smoke trough the glasses.

I tried to make a feather mask in each glass, but it looks so fake.

Here's a link of the actual clip:

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: View across a glass door effect
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:14:05 pm

You're making the right start. I would suggest not masking out the glass (if you don't mind me saying, we would usually say 'panes of glass'). Instead, draw masks on a solid layer and use that layer as a track matte for the smoke. The masks should be animated, using keyframes to match the position of the panes. Reduce the opacity of the masks. You don't want them to be completely transparent, or you'll see no smoke. Then you could try tinting the smoke where it is seen through the glass, making it appear whiter.

You could take a look at this tutorial for advice on recreating glass.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Alan CamachoRe: View across a glass door effect
by on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:55:00 am

Wow! Thank you very much for you help Simon!

It helped me A LOT. I'm currently just adjusting the masks with the keyframes to make it almost "perfect". And THANK YOU for the glass tutorial too, it gave me more ideas for future videos.

I'm suscribing to your YouTube Channel.

Greets from Mexico City!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved