ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rookie question about editing in CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kettlestringsrookie question about editing in CS5
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:14:52 am

I have my first project in Premier Pro and I want to stabilize it. Does a person stabilize the clips first in AE and then make the video project in Premier Pro or do I bring the project over to AE? Confused and a little embarrassed.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: rookie question about editing in CS5
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 7:13:01 am

Don't be embarrased. You can render out of premiere or after effects. Doesn't matter; whichever works for your workflow. I recommend editing first, then finish in AE.

I edit in vegas, export to premier, export to after effects, then finish and render there for web, or export to encore for dvd. Sounds complex, but it's not, and it's all for very specific reasons that gives me more desirable results than just editing and rendering in vegas, or just premiere.

Think about your workflows:
- Stablize in AE, export to files*
- Edit stabilized files in premiere
- Render and finish to deliverable files
You'll end up with twice the amount of clips; stabilized and originals. *Unless you edit AE compositions directly in premier. It's possible, but really working backward.

- Edit in premiere
- Open premier project file in AE
- Grade, stabilize, add titles and graphics in AE
- Render and finish

See why it's called "After" Effects? It's designed to be used after the edit. But sometimes it does make sense to use it in other capacities.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Jason KettlestringsRe: rookie question about editing in CS5
by on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:13:45 am

Thank you very much for your reply. You simplified it for me and I appreciate it. I am on it! thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved