ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing Solids with Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael HerpReplacing Solids with Files
by on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:43:01 pm

Hello,

I'm creating a short animation using a series of moving solids and I'd like to give the solids a slight texture. I know you can do this through Effects>Presets>backgrounds, but I want to use a specific PSD file as the texture. Is there a way to replace the solid with a file? Or perhaps a fill effect where you can choose a file as the 'color'?

I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz 4GB DDR3 using CS5.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Replacing Solids with Files
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:51:16 am

See this page for instructions for replacing a layer's source with references to another footage item.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Replacing Solids with Files
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 4:44:13 pm

[Michael Herp] "I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz 4GB DDR3 using CS5."

Yow! The first thing to do: turn off multiprocessing and LEAVE IT OFF. You don't anywhere near the amount of memory to use multiprocessing effectively. On my machine at home, I have 24 GB RAM -- count 'em, twenty-four gigs -- and I feel I have a proper amount to use multiprocessing.

Same thing goes for Open GL -- turn it off for rendering. How about Open GL for previewing? It's okay.

[Michael Herp] "I'm creating a short animation using a series of moving solids and I'd like to give the solids a slight texture... I want to use a specific PSD file as the texture. "

Todd gave you a good reference to the ways to replace footage in AE. But if there's a big difference between the H&V dimensions of your solids and the the Photoshop document, you might want to think about:
  • dragging those solids onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window
  • adding the PSDs to those comps
  • getting the newly-textured comps to look right and
  • THEN using the Replace Footage command.

Typically in AE, there are a couple of ways to skin a cat.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]