ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Optimize a little?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamid Rohi-BilverdyOptimize a little?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:17:53 pm

Please look at my settings, I know it is a junk pc I have, but is there anything any changes I can make here to make AE work a little better?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Optimize a little?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:24:46 pm

Turn off multiprocessing. You have nowhere near enough RAM to make it work properly. Until you get a system that can accommodate more memory, you're limited to using just one core, I'm afraid.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hamid Rohi-BilverdyRe: Optimize a little?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:46:11 pm

Ok, thanks Dave. It gave me little extra, but I agree, I am allready on the look for a workstation..

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Optimize a little?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:58:36 pm

yep, disable mp all together. and i'd increase the ram for other apps to at least 1gb, maybe even 1.5gb or 2gb. this will help lessen the os from disk caching as often, which hurts performance significantly.

also, as you make changes and test rendering, watch the cpu levels with task manager. that way you can see how well the cpu(s) are performing directly and can help you determine better settings.

for example, if you notice that levels typically drop after several minutes into a render and disk activity increases, then you can bet that the os is caching to disk. if you look at ram and see that ae is only using 10% of the max ram cache (which is around 65%), then you could change the settings to give more ram to the os.

you can also do some tests with ae's disk caching enable and disabled. typically, if you have only one drive, you don't want disk caching enabled, but even if you have multiple drives, disk caching may have a negative impact on rendering, so it's good to test it.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Optimize a little?
by on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:28:54 pm

Might want to take a look at this as well...

You're in a good position to provide feedback to help those with lower powered systems.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved