ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Real world units

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake SmithReal world units
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:39:38 pm

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to figure out real world units in AE? For instance, 100px = 1ft. I pretty sure there is not, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

For instance, let's say you have a piece of footage and you know your subject is 3 feet from the camera. Now you need to create a camera that would be 3 feet away from from your center point in Z space.

Cinema has the ability to use real world units in v12 so I created the camera in there and imported it. I was getting a number around 90.5px = 1 foot. This is a fine work around, but just curious to see if anyone else had some information on the problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Real world units
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:59:59 pm

[Jake Smith] "Is there a way to figure out real world units in AE? For instance, 100px = 1ft."

I've never heard of one.

It sounds like when you build a model in C4D, you can assign real-world dimensions to it. AE doesn't work with models like that; there's no similar method of calibration, and it makes sense. In AE, you can import two pieces of 1920x1080 footage, shot on the same camera, but one is shot 3 feet from the subject and the other is shot 30 feet from the subject. The only thing AE can tell is that they're both 1920x1080.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Real world units
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:58:02 pm

Also, the real world distance and the distance as viewed would vary a lot dependent on the field of view of the camera. Different lenses will cause things to appear very different depending on the angle. AE is not a 3d program so again, as Dave said, no.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved