ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AVI or MOV ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfred ChristantoAVI or MOV ?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:49:05 pm

Just asking, which one is better, avi or mov? If i render a movie in AE or PP, is the result going to be different, if i choose different format.

Just wondering...

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AVI or MOV ?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:41:03 pm

avi and mov are just containers or wrappers, they can actually use the same compression (dv, mpeg, uncompressed, etc) but they format the data structure slightly differently.

so, essentially there is no difference in quality if you are using the same codec (like dv, mpeg, uncmopressed, etc.).

however, from ae, you'll have more compression options rendering to mov than having to file>export to avi.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AVI or MOV ?
by on Jan 14, 2011 at 4:30:54 pm

To elaborate a bit on Kevin's reply, I'm going to steal a metaphor from Shane Ross on the FCP forum.

Think of an AVI or a Quicktime Movie as a soda can. A soda can holds ginger ale, cola, root beer... all kinds of flavors. Those different flavors are the various codecs you can use. Some codecs are better for some applications, and some codecs are better for different applications.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: AVI or MOV ?
by on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:48:35 am

To add to the mix, yes your result will be different if you choose a different codec (not container: avi/mov). They all have different algorithms and as Dave says some are better than others for different applications. You need to look at your needs, then find codecs that meet those. For instance one of mine is a cross platform codec that allows me to work with footage in a couple software programs on both windows and mac. Thus Avid DNxHD or Cineform are the best ones for this. QT Animation, or image sequences are also options, but at a higher data rate. Some codecs natively work in mov, some in avi, some in others. Plan on spending a lot of time studying this, over time.

Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved